Deformed larvae

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
When my C.orientalis female started laying eggs i took them off since both parents were eating the eggs(they didn´t the previous time). So i had around 35-40 eggs separated. About half of them decayed with fungus, and all the other ones developed into deformed larvae. they had their spines torn vertically and horizontally. After a few days they all died. The thing is the larvae that were born in the parent´s tank are normal at least the ones i can see. I kept the separated larvae in a container next to the window for some light source....which means the water was about 15-17ºC. Could this be the reason??? I really don´t see what else could be...
The normal larvae are growing extremely fast which makes me a very happy person hehe.

Hello Azhael, do you know how the water quality in the separate egg container compared to the parents' enclosure? Also, what temperature is typical in the parents' enclosure?

That's odd, I've never seen a whole batch with a deformity like that. I wonder if the window had a large temperature fluctuation (cold at night, hot in daytime) and maybe that was the cause.

The temperature is quite constant, if there´s a variation it´s a little one. It´s really really cold here even at midday.
I don´t really know about the quality of the water since i didn´t run tests, but it´s water from the parent´s tank and there´s nothing extra or different that could really change the water imo. The parent´s tank temps are about 19ºC right now.

What type of container were you keeping the separated larvae in? I find this highly unlikely, but I wonder if the container they were in leeched some sort of chemical/toxin into the water in a very short period of time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back