Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

another axie?

dytey

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey,

i've had my axie for almost a year, and I'm pretty sure hes a he, hes quite large and pretty agressive to anything introduced to the tank. this is a concern because i am considering introducing a female. is this alright because i do not want my axie to kill the introduced female? if i was to put one in, what would be the best way to do so? i have a rather large tank.

thanks heaps

kapo

Reaction score
if i was to put one in, what would be the best way to do so? i have a rather large tank.

thanks heaps

Make sure to get one about the same size or just within a cm or two difference of the male.

Most importantly, you have to quarantine the new one for 30 days minimum, to ensure it is free of any illness (don't go buy petshop quarantining), and doesn't pass any nasties/sickness on to your current one.

Are you able to keep your temperatures cool and maintain it for the whole summer (below 20C)? If not, then I suggest you get a female at the onset of your cooler months otherwise you will stress the pair out which can eventually lead to fungus and illness, even if they're in individual tanks (quarantine and other) trying to maintain the cool temperature.

Other than the quarantining, cool temperatures and ensuring it's healthy: as long as you have enough room or space and hidey holes for your axies and just keep an eye on them. Two of our females tends to be more aggressive than the males, especially when it's feeding time. But we just move them gently aside with the turkey baster and lead them away with their food to opposite sides of the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1