Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dying Axie in fridge - need HELP!!

rp9164

Reaction score
Hi all. I am a mum who is playing doctor to my son's axie. We have had him for about seven years & he is not looking too good. He was floating sideways in the tank, gulping air & generally looking like he was dead in he tank.

I thought it was dirty water (it had been ages since I'd cleaned his tank), so I cleaned out the whole tank (didn't know you weren't supposed to do that - it's how I've always done it - lol!), and he didn't improve. He seemed to swim around madly for a few hours but then he reverted to floating & gulping again. He also doesn't seem to be able to get to the bottom of the tank.

After reading the posts, I put him in a container in the fridge. Well today I was sure that he was dead but just to check I picked him up & he moved his feeler things on his head slightly & took a gulp of air.

Does anyone know what I should do???? Not sure how long to leave him in the fridge for - he's been in since last night now. I think that his problem (from reading the posts) may be that he's either swallowed one of the blue gravel rocks - btw - had NO idea (after SEVEN years that they weren't supposed to be on rocks), or may have an infection of some kind.

I have also never checked the water temp, or tested for the nitrates etc in seven years. After reading all these posts, I'm actually surprised how he's managed to live so long!

Really need some help - he's lived for so long now & I don't like to see him suffering. :confused::confused::confused:

digger

Reaction score
hi,
dont panic about the fridging ,lots of people in australia keep their axies in the fridge throughout the entire summer.
just ensure you are using dechlorinated water and keep a spare bottle in the fridge with him for water changes, these must be done daily.
the water should just cover his back to stop him from floating.
cover the container with something dark to stop light and temp fluctuations.
hopefully it is a peice of gravel that he can pass without to much trouble.

Saspotato

Reaction score
With tank changes, you should only do 20% at a time and it is best to test the water for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite about once a week. Your axolotl might be sick seeing as you haven't cleaned the tank for a while, generally you should clean it once a week with a 20% water change.

With keeping him in the fridge, make sure the temperature is above 5C. Also as digger said, make sure that the container is covered with a tea towel or something to block out the light as that can stress him out.

Hopefully he will get better for you :) There are a few things you can do to improve his health when he comes out such as removing gravel as they can swallow it (hopefully if this happened with yours he will just pass it through with no ill effects). You can use sand or a bare tank bottom as an alternative. Also do more frequent water changes and make sure the parameters are ok.

Anyway, good luck with your axolotl :)

rp9164

Reaction score
Update

Thanks for your help guys. Now that he's in the fridge, when should I take him out??? Do I need to change his water in the container?? I have the water covering him, but he is still floating - is this too much water???

If he makes it through (which I am doubtful of right now :(), I will definately take out the stupid rocks & do the 20% water changes.

I'll let you know how he goes (cross fingers!)

Belinda

kapo

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. Now that he's in the fridge, when should I take him out??? Do I need to change his water in the container?? I have the water covering him, but he is still floating - is this too much water???

If he makes it through (which I am doubtful of right now :(), I will definately take out the stupid rocks & do the 20% water changes.

I'll let you know how he goes (cross fingers!)

Belinda

You definitely need to change the water 100% daily. If you don't already have any in there, place a bottle of treated tapwater, ie dechlorinated water - tapwater with added water ager/dechlorinater/conditioner to remove the chlorine and chloramines from it, in the fridge in a plastic bottle or jug. Water has to be the same temperature.

If he's still floating try and lower the water so his feet rest on the bottom but still just covering his back, it's less stress for him then.

Also, make sure the container has a lid and is wrapped in a dishcloth (to stop light/temperature fluctuations from normal fridge usage).

The sickness may be a combination of heat and water quality. If you've been having temperatures in the 20s+ this could have been part of the problem, ideal temperature for axies is below 20C, if one can maintain.

Axie can stay in the fridge for a while, some owners keep their axies in fridge throughout the summer months as they can't maintain the tank temperature, as long as you do the complete daily waterchanges.

Also, what size is your tank (length x width)?

Good luck and keep us posted.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi, how old was your axie when you got it? I agree with everything that has been said, Don't despair.

If you have your axie in the fridge and do daily water changes and keep feeding it you are doing all you can. If you are really worried take it to a vet axies can be suprisingly resilient.

Good Luck

rp9164

Reaction score
Very Sad :(

Well unfortunately Axie died whilst in the fridge. Thanks for all the help from everyone. From what I've read, I'm pretty sure that he ate a rock & it has gotten stuck. It's very sad, since we've had him now for nearly eight years. Now he's gone to the big fish tank in the sky.

kapo

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!