axie seems suddently comatose

Komori

Reaction score
Country
United States
axie seems suddenly comatose

My axie has suddenly developed a problem ... earlier this evening I tried feeding him a worm and he didn't eat it (usually he snaps them right up). The water level was getting low and it was making the filter noisy, so I added 2-3 liters of water to the tank, and then added dechlorinator. I know I should dechlorinate the water first, but I have always done it this way before with no problems. About 30 minutes later he was listing to one side and barely moving when I touched him. I have put him in the fridge (with the same water) but don't know what else to do ... any suggestions? The other axolotl in the tank seems fine ... :(

Last edited:
Hmm I am not sure how bad not dechlorinating first is... how big is your tank? Like is 2-3 litres a large amount of water relative to the size of your tank? If not, it is probably not great for your axolotl but possibly, won't do any major damage... The only thing I could think about was if he was near the spot where you put the dechlorinator in and the concentration made him sick? Could be way off with that tho...

How about the rest of your tank parameters? Like temperature and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, etc?

And also how long was your axolotl behaving weirdly? It might be nothing to worry about if only a short time. My axolotl sometimes gets 'grumpy' and won't eat for half an hour or so (yes I know I shouldn't anthropomorphise my axolotl but oh well :p)... but it can pass. Same as when he occassionally floats in the plants at the top. At first I got really worried but he has been fine for the last four months I have had him :) So it might be nothing... though won't do any harm keeping him in the fridge for a bit!

I just tested everything and the temperature is fine, ammonia is low (close to 0), the pH was low so I added some pH solution. The tank is a wide 20 gallon tank and I keep it filled to the top, so I was only adding enough water to "top it off." As I said this is what I've done before with no problems.

He's not moving in the fridge, one gill is flopped backwards and the rest are curled forward. I changed his water out for a new bowl from the tank (now that the dechlorinator & pH solution have dissolved).

Anyone know whether a concentrated hit of dechlorinator is bad for an axie? Or could it be something in the tap water?

Last edited:
what sort of test kits do you have - are they test tube kind? You should also be testing for nitrite and nitrate moreso than pH. Any ammonia over 0, and you should do a 20% waterchange.

How low is your pH. Axies can reside in pH levels of 6.4/5-8.0 Don't add the pH up stuff as this is only a temporary fix and won't fix the problem. If it's lower than these levels then a carbonate containing materials, such as crushed coral or limestone, will increase pH and buffer against pH swings.

How long have you had your axolotls? You should really add your dechlorinator to tapwater and let it rest (in a bucket) in the same room at least an hour beforehand before you do a waterchange/top up (to allow water to degas and water to come to same temperature as tankwater).

Make sure to keep a bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge for when you do the 100% waterchanges daily.

EDIT:

What is your tank temperature?

Last edited:
I'm using the test tube kits; I've never had one for nitrites, not sure why since I did plenty of research at the beginning. The aquarium temp is 16 degrees C/60 degrees F (I live in Southern CA so don't have much trouble with temp except in summer heat waves). The pH was too low (around 6.2) which is why I added the pH stuff (usually I just add it when I do a water change), but I can get some coral or limestone for the future. I haven't changed the substrate (fine sand) or anything else in the tank (just the filter and fake logs/plants) in a long time.

I have had one axie for more than 3 years and the one in question for a little over 2 years and they have been pretty much fine in that time -- never noticed anything like this before.

He has now been in the fridge (at about 6 degrees C/43 degrees F) for 8 hours and his gills appear to have straightened out, although he hasn't moved a muscle. I have to go to work so no choice but to leave him in there another 8 hours.

Let me know if you have any futher advice! Thanks!

I had noticed that when I had to remove some juveniles quickly from the main tank ( the divider that seperated them from pops had loosened and they where ma king a brake for it!) they all assumed a very strange posture. If I remeber correctly they all listed onto one side and all had the same leg pointing at a strange angle. I assumed they where 'playing dead', as the situation had to be dealt with far quicker than I liked. Maybe your axolotl was doing the same.. I hope so as my lot after a short while realised they where safe and toodled off to do their own thing. Fingers crossed for you.

I hate to have to ask this question, but ... how do you tell if they're dead? :( He has been in the fridge about 20 hours and is totally unresponsive, but hasn't changed to a funny color ... his gills and hands are curled a little ... the gills are pale but not entirely colorless (he is a golden albino). I don't want to pull the plug if he's not really gone, any advice?

Hmm I have no idea! Never seen a dead axolotl before...

However, my axolotl doesn't move when he is in the fridge unless startled... maybe try to wake up your axolotl or something? To check that mine is ok in the fridge I wiggle my finger in the water and see if he responds. His gills go pale too. So far haven't had any hassles! Yours could be sleeping and don't forget, the fridge will slow down their movement, metabolism and responsiveness.

Anyway, just keep making sure the temperature is above 5C, he is protected from light and ppl slamming the fridge door, and that you are doing 100% water changes each day with dechlorinated water.

If it was dead you wouldn't get any response from it, they will usually flick their gills or you'll see some very slight movement. Gently nudge it to see if you get some response.

A dead axolotl has it's mouth partially open, back legs tend to hang in and backwards towards the tail as opposed to out the side. No flickering gills and no flicker of the eyes.

I wasn't sure ours was dead so left the container out to warm to room temperature. Over a couple of hours it also started to develop a greyish film (which I assume because it was dead) over it's body and the mouth remained open. It was more noticeable as it was a dark wildtype.

Just keep an eye on him. Ours are usually in the fridge at 5C and they're fine apart from the odd flicker or when we do the waterchange.

If you don't have test kits for the nitrites and nitrates, then take a sample of water to your petshop and get them to test it and give you the results. Don't buy anything to fix it, generally frequent partial waterchanges will sort things out.

Do you clean up any uneaten food or waste? (this could be why you have a slight ammonia problem - or hidden waste in the sand/under decos).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back