new T.Marms very uneasy about him

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've just recieved a new male T.Marms yesterday. It seems to have acouple of problems. I've never seen this before in newts but its weird. It seems to have very very long fingers and they're growing in all kinds of directions. Looks like deformities. Then he allways seems to have his eyes closed and he's very unactive. He seems to be on the thin side above his two hind legs I think I can see his pelvis kinda sticking out. If I've seen this animal in a petshop I would never have purchased it. So now what am I supposed to do? Should I ask the breeder for a refund or something? I dont even wanna bother the breeder but everytime I see that T.Marms i'm not happy at all. T.Marms arent cheap either about $45 dollars and then overnight shipping thats kinda expensive. And then when you get your animal its you not satisfied.

So should it be sometimes you and sometimes you lose or should I should I try to comprise a refund or something. anyone with some advice??

if the pelvis bones are sticking out then he's under weight, eyes clamped shut is another bad sign. I would contact the breeder bringing up your concerns and see what his response is, you paid him in good faith and should expect a healthy animal, if he is a breeder he should know the signs of an unhealthy animal.

yes your right. I'll converse with him through email and we'll see what happens

Have you tried waxmoth larvae? If he is sick, it won't help, but it should get him on weight pretty quickly.

Males have large toes, and when terrestrial they may take weird positions, try to take a pic of the animal, the toe thing could be just normal. If the pelvis bones aren´t sticking too much it may just be a result of the shipping....the stress and the lack of food might have slimmed him a bit, but most of the times if the animal is just slim and not starved, they recover fast and well. The eyes always closed do sound like something´s wrong....just a possibility though, check the temps, maybe he is cold and that´s making him unactive and sleepy...just to discard possibilities. Best of lucks.

I'm gonna try my best to put wieght on him. I've contacted the breeder and he has given me some options I'm pretty happy with. I'm going to keep him and concetrate on him and hope his health elevates. Anyone have any advice on how I should feed him?

Keep it cool in a quiet part of the house with little disturbance. I’m assuming it’s terrestrial so place it in a small plastic container with a substrate of moist topsoil, a shallow water dish and a good hide or two (cork bark, broken crocs, pvc tubing etc). When I have a newt that’s off it’s food I like to provide a variety of prey that is always accessible. A shallow dish with vertical sides can be used for maggots (non-dyed) and chopped earthworms. Try to position the dish so the newt can see in to it. Also in the container I would add a few crickets, and some waxmoth larvae. All these food items are available commercially from good pet shops and bait stores. You should avoid adding too many prey items as this can stress the newt. You may want to try adding all this in the evening so it ties in with the newts natural nocturnal feeding routine.

allright thanx for that. I knew right off the get go that if I was to care for this guy i would have to single him out because hes in no condition to be competing for a meal with other newts. I'll put him in a smaller tank by himself and offer a varirty of foods and then see what he takes and what he doesnt take. after a while I'll supplement the food that he accepts the most. I'll post updates later on thank you everyone I feel so much more confident!! thanx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back