sick axl

clarke

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My axl has a white film all over him I am not sure this is COLUMNARIS.
If it is how do I fix him.

Regards CLARKE

I've moved your thread to the Sick Axie part of the forum.

It could very well be a type of fungus, which is caused by some type of stress. Don't add any medicines to the tank, most fish medicines can be toxic to an axolotl. If it is fungus it will need saltbaths twice a day.

What is your tank temperature, how big is your tank (lengthy by width) and have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? Also, does it share the tank? How long has s/he been like this? Are there any other companions in the tank and how long have you had him/her?

Thanks Kapo .
The tank is a 2 foot long.
Had him for a year now, got a companion [female] for him two weeks ago.
The water has not been tested.
Can you use normal table salts in his baths
Tank gets cleaned twice a week ,the water gets cloudy after two days as they only like to eat pellets,
to live or froven food.
Can you buy the test kits at the aquirum suppliers.
ps; thank you for moving this post[ still a newbe.]
regards tone

Last edited:
Did you quarantine the female, if you didn't chances are your resident may have picked something up of her which is stressing it.

All new editions should always be quarantined for minimum of 30 days to ensure that they are healthy and won't pass anything on to current residents.

You should really remove her from the tank and quarantine her; but as he appears to be sick; it is probably a better idea to remove him from the tank completely and keep him in a temporary tank of some sort - bucket or plastic container in dechlorinated water, as long as the water temperature is 20C or below (lower than 20C is better as heat can add to stress).

What is your tank temperature - anything above 20C and you'll need to cool the tank down using some of the following methods http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

How big is the female - really two axies in a two foot tank can be rather cramped fouls the tank faster - the tank temperature in a smaller tank increases faster than in a larger tank - especially if you're using an internal filter.

You need to test the tankwater regularly (usually weekly or fortnightly before waterchanges, especially with additions of other companions - their waste increases the bioload). If you don't have freshwater test kits, test tube kind not the all in ones, then take a sample of tankwater to the petshop and ask them to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. If ammonia or nitrite levels are above 0, then you need to do frequent partial waterchanges (no more than 20-30% - too large a waterchange can cause your tank to cycle again and may cause more harm than anything else).

As you do waterchanges twice a week anyway, I think your problem may be more related to addition of unquarantined animal and heat related stress.

Table salts can be used if you don't have aquarium/tonic salt or sea salt.

Salt bath method is:

Use a plastic container (with lid) - icecream or other that fits him lengthwise.
Fill the container with enough dechlorinated water (tapwater treated with water ager/conditioner/dechlorinater drops to remove chlorine and chloramine from the tapwater).
Use 2-3 teaspoons of salt per litre (or 2 pints) of dechlorinated water, stir the salt till it dissolves. If you have tonic/aquarium or some sea salts you need to crush them to dissolve them - they're quite chunky.
Immerse your axolotl in the saltbath, cover with lid and leave him in it for 10-15minutes maximum (no longer as salt will burn gills).
Remove him from saltbath and return him to tank/temporary container (wherever you decide to put him) and empty the saltbath.

Saltbaths need to be done twice a day (3 times a day if you're able to) and continued at least a week after the fungus has dropped off.

EDIT: One thing, do not add anything to the tank to fix it, especially if advised by petshop. Only thing that should be added if you use tapwater for waterchanges is the dechlorinater drops.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
I will start salt baths today and move him to a four foot tank.
And quarantine her until he gets better.
I rang the vet they had no idea.
hopefully it is only heat stress.
Regards clarke

Keep us posted and any other concerns or questions just ask as there is a wealth of both national and international expertise and knowledge on this forum . :D

Keep us posted and any other concerns or questions just ask as there is a wealth of both national and international expertise and knowledge on this forum . :D
Hello
Day two he is looking a lot better , starting to eat again .
have set up a four foot tank for them, with plenty of hiding spots .
THE THING YOU DO FOR THESE STRANGE LOOKING LITTLE CREATURES,
Once again thank you very much for your help KAPO.
Had the water tested it was in there range.
hopefully I will have a happy axel soon.
regards CLARKE

remember to keep up salt baths for at least a week after the fungus has cleared, this will ensure it has totally been obliterated.

You're welcome Clarke, and yes the things we do for our "strange looking little creatures". :D

Hello Frances.
Thank you for your advise.
My family thinks I'm mad, a truckie worried about he's little Mexican Friend's.
BYE for now

Regards Clarke

you are welcome,
my partner is a long distance lorry driver and the first thing he asks me is 'how are all my babies'.
so i dare say his work mates think he is mad as well, lol.
good luck and hope all goes well.

its cool to have more babies.... I gave birth to 5 and brought 4 and 1 died so all together i have 9 babies!!!!

yep I have 4 with 2 legs & 2 with 4.
The 2 with 4 legs control the house.

Well hes moving around quite well now. almost all white is of him.Just little patches hear and there &. eating for ten axels.
A good sign I hope.

im so glad he is doing well.
i have 3 adults
6 juvies
and new batch of eggs.
also 5 newts.
thats without the rabbits and dog.
no time for self or partner lol, good job he works away.
keep us informed on how hes going.
goodluck.

hey clarke...

it seems there might be a rising trend of aussie truckers with a thing for axalotils. im a professional steering wheel attendand with 4 axi's meself. great to hear. :-D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back