hellbender needs placement

naturejoe

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a legally obtained hellbender left from the collection of nature center I used to run. I am looking to place it in a proper home. I hoped to place it at the St. Louis Zoo but have not heard from them in several weeks so I decided to look for other possibilities and thought this group would be perfect since I have exhausted all my other contacts. I will not sell it to a private collector so don't ask. I will only place it with a licensed facility (zoo, nature center, university, etc.). I do not know the sex. It has been under my care for seven years with no difficulties. Thanks for your help.

Please contact me at naturejoe@gmail.com for more details. Serious placement possibilities only please.

Nature Joe

Good luck with your search for placement. It would be great to be able to place the animal in a breeding program. I know that there are several zookeepers who frequent this forum from time to time so perhaps one of them can help.
Chip

Hi Joe, this post should really belong in the For Sale/Trade area of the forum but as this is a fairly unique advert I think it can stay in the general discussion area where it may get more exposure. You could PM Erik Keyster or Ed Kowalski – they may have some suggestions. Good luck finding a new home for it.

I second Mark's suggestion to contact Erik or Ed. I would also add Nate Nelson to that list. Nate and Ed work as herpetologists in zoos.

In case anyone is wondering, the hellbender found a home in a zoo in Kansas.

But the Maritime Aquarium (Norwalk CT) is looking for a hellbender, and mudpuppies.

How do I know this? I'm not telling, but I do.

Was that Nate's zoo?

hellbender found home

Thank you to all who have replied and for those offering a home to little "Elmo". He has found a home and will be going to Wichita, KS very soon, hopefullly. I have assured him (it really) that though Kansas is an aweful state to drive through, Wichita is a very nice place and he won't have to listen to the parrots screaming anymore.

Nature Joe

Thanks for the update Joe. Can we know if it's a public zoo please so if we want to see it we can?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back