eastren newt unable to put on any weight

salamanderguy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
my noto wont put on any weight i can see his ribs. but hes eating fine so i dont know what to do ? i feed him blackworms and earthworms. i have another noto in with him and he seems fine.
could it be genitic?

I have seen Notos with this problem. I suspect it might be due to a high parasite load. There isn't much you can do except to keep feeding him as much as possible.

Good point. There are medications that would eliminate most parasites. But you'd have to have access to the meds, and info on the correct doses. In most cases, the meds have to be given orally, which is not an easy task for a small aquatic newt.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back