Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi from Florida!

lissamphibia

Reaction score
I'm studying ecology at New College of Florida in Sarasota, and I just got my first grant for a preliminary mark-recapture study of the greater siren, Siren lacertina, in a nearby state park. (The park's reptile and amphibian records are mostly based on a report from 1941!)

I'm interested in all kinds of reptiles and amphibians, especially aquatic salamanders and caecilians. Though I wish I didn't have to leave my Typhlonectes natans and 2 Bufo variegatus with my parents, it's great to be on a campus crawling with treefrogs and anoles, even if they are both nonnative. The coolest thing I've done with salamanders recently was snorkeling for hellbenders in the Oconaluftee River, where I caught a larval hellbender in a snorkel mask.

MissJones

Reaction score
Hey there. I'm from Florida too. I was wondering if you know of any breeders or pet stores that sell Chinese Firebellies? I bought one two years ago from Underground Reptiles, but I'd like to get another one and I can't seem to find any.

lissamphibia

Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with Florida breeders/pet stores yet, since I've only been here a few months (I'm originally from North Carolina). And unfortunately, we're not allowed to have pets in the dorms besides fish.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. With regards to what you`re allowed to keep in your dorm, I suggest you give them the old `fish with legs` explanation ;).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!