Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

is it too late?

lyra

Reaction score
My axolotl has a fungal infection which started with one toe, now it is everywhere, even around her mouth. I have been giving her daily salt baths for a week and she just gets worse. i have taken out all the sand and replaced the tank water, although now I have moved her to a container in my shed (I'm in England - it's almost as good as a fridge).
She hasn't eaten for a week not either, I usually feed them earthworms and prawns.
My other axolotl appears healthy apart from a tiny lump on one toe, about the size of a grain of sand.
I am wondering if it is too late and if she should be put out of her misery as it looks like she's slowly dying.
Also I am just guessing the sex I can't tell which she is.
I have had them for about eight months, the tank is about 20 degrees, i change the water by 10% each week, and i think the problem may have been waste buried i the sand or stress as builders have been plastering the walls of my room where they live.

Attachments

• Photo 8.jpg
    Photo 8.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 165
  • Photo 9.jpg
    Photo 9.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 184

digger

Reaction score
hi,
firstly how often are you salt bathing?

this should be done 2-3 time a day for between 10-15 mins; no more than that as the salt will end up harming
you should use 1-2 teaspoons of salt per litre of dechlorinated water.

secondly, have you checked your water parameters?

ideally they should read;-
ammonnia =0
nitrite =0
nitrate =20/40
if ammonia or nitite are above 0 then you have a problem and need to do 20-30% water changes daily

are you removing uneaten food and waste as soon as you see it?
what sort of filter are you using?
do they have places to hide, and plants?
do you replace tank water with dechlorinated water?
have you put any chemicals in you tank?

all these things could have a bearing on why she is poorly.
my advice would be to popher in the fridge in acontainer of dechlorinated water, pop a spare bottle of water in there with her and cover her with something dark, this wil stop light and temp fluctuations.
the water in the bottle can then be used for salt baths and her daily 100% water change.

hope this helps, dont give up hopeyet.
i

kapo

Reaction score
How big is your tank (length x width)?

What is the current temperature she's been kept at as well, the lower the better (as long as it's above 4C)? Try and cover the container (I realise you took the photo for your post) and change the water in her container almost completely daily.

If your saltbath quantities are too much or too long it may be burning her, she looks very red. You haven't added any other medication etc to her tank have you?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed that she is in a sink, its possible that their are traces of various houshold chemicals in the water that she is sitting in, also are you dechlorinating the water you use ?
I appreciate that you are being barraged with lots of questions, but its the best way of getting to the root of the problem.

lyra

Reaction score
The tank is 36'' L 13'' H 12'' W Though the container she is in at the moment is much smaller,
I am not allowed to put her in the fridge as it is not my fridge. I have given her two 10 minute salt baths today, she lost a foot whilst i was at work. From now on I'll bath her somewhere other than the sink, she is very red especially around the foot area and nose, its worse than in the picture which i took yesterday, I don't know what else to do

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Lyra, as hard as it is stay calm if you are following the advice you have been given you are doing everything you can.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1