eggs again

lisalee2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
lisa
Hi i have a question to ask, one of my axies has gave brth again and because we havent got anoth room in the house we have put all the eggs in a big tub with air pump out side in the out house in the shed. the temp is reading at 9c is it to cold for them as its winter here, most of them are growing now, i herd it will take a lot longer for them to grow and hatch but will they be ok being that cold the temp is staying roughthly the same every day. have thought of wraping the tub up to keep it a bit warm with inserlation what do you think i should do. and how long do you think it will be if they hatch. thanks lisa

Insulation by itself (with no input of heat) will not change their temperature. The eggs will be OK at that temp for quite a while, but once they hatch it's better to raise them at a somewhat warmer temp.

Since winter is just beginning, it won't be getting any warmer anytime soon. Where are you going to raise the larvae? If you are not going to be able to have a place to raise them, I would recommend euthanizing the eggs, or finding other homes that can raise them.

It should take longer to hatch and definately longer to develope. I have one left out side from my first brood ( kids named him the Lone Ranger) , its siblings are close to 5 inches and this one is barely half an inch. I am begining to weaken regarding this one now and am tempted to set it up in its own little tank, but suspect the change may be too much!!!!

i was thinking bout keeping them in the shed all the time, and dont fancy killing the eggs off. me and my partner has raised a few batches of axie eggs before but in the house and did quite well but this time we havent got the room as we are moving but would like to raise roxys babies and the shed was the only place i could think off, what if we put a heater in there tub will that be ok and insulate it as well, would that be better for them while its cold. We have had to seperate the male from the two females as its the 8th or 9th time they have layed eggs this year and just want the girls to have some peace and quite for a while else he will never leave them alone.

Depending on wether we actually get a really cold spell, I'd be tempted to do with out the heater at all. Just cover the tank well if it looks like we are going to get a frost or freezing spell. I have read that eggs can even be frozen so they should be fine for the winter...just keep an eye on them in case they appear to be hatching or look like they are going 'moldy'. Having said this however , I'd actually get rid of them rather than hatch another batch! I put mine out in the garden and they had disappeared within 20 minutes.

but i want to raise them, and not gona get rid of them this time as we gave them to a mate last time, just wanted to know if they would be ok out in the shed and what we should do to help them survive in this cold weather.i love all my animals and like watching these eggs grow in to axis,i just want to know if they will survive and if i need to change the temp to help the survive, i know there a cold water animal but dint know if being to cold would kill them or not...

Generally the warmer the eggs are the faster they will hatch. My first batch hatched in a week in water temps probably just over 20 degrees..(it was the hight of our summer), the ones I put in a tank out side in a tank in the shade took 3 weeks, once I moved them into a less shaded spot ..these temps were more like 15 degrees. The colder it is the slower it'll be for them to develope and hatch. If you are moving in the next few weeks leave them cold, and when you have space again bring them in to slowly warm up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back