Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best Substrate?

nickz123

Reaction score
I currently have 2 juvenile tiger salamanders in a 55g tank. I have it setup with about 5" of long fibered sphagnum as the substrate with a bunch of plants and a log. When I first got them I had them in a tank with EcoEarth and I hated the way it stuck to them and I couldn't see their colors. They have been in the sphagnum setup for about 2 months and I am about to move to a new apartment and I want to re-do their setup. I have read the threads about how sphagnum is too acidic and could cause problems and I was wondering if I should switch back to EcoEarth, keep the sphagnum, or try something new. Anyone have any suggestions on a better substrate?
Thanks
-Nick
EDIT: I saw an article that said topsoil was suitable. Can I use top soil purchased from a garden center or walmart as long as it doesn't have slow release fertilizer or a starter charge?

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have 2 juvenile tiger salamanders in a 55g tank. I have it setup with about 5" of long fibered sphagnum as the substrate with a bunch of plants and a log. When I first got them I had them in a tank with EcoEarth and I hated the way it stuck to them and I couldn't see their colors. They have been in the sphagnum setup for about 2 months and I am about to move to a new apartment and I want to re-do their setup. I have read the threads about how sphagnum is too acidic and could cause problems and I was wondering if I should switch back to EcoEarth, keep the sphagnum, or try something new. Anyone have any suggestions on a better substrate?
Thanks
-Nick
EDIT: I saw an article that said topsoil was suitable. Can I use top soil purchased from a garden center or walmart as long as it doesn't have slow release fertilizer or a starter charge?
Hi Nick,
Nice palatial estate for your 2 animals!

In general, when assessing substrate for mole salamanders, here are some of the considerations: Substrates which can hold moisture to prevent desiccation of the salamander and allow for easy burrowing are preferred. Substrate must be able to break down organic matter, such as feces, ect. It must be able to maintain a variable degree of moisture, without clumping, turning to mud, or drying out, and cannot contain noxious or toxic materials, either man-made or natural. Substrates should not cause abrasion or irritation to the skin which can be a problem with large mulch or bark chips nor should pieces of substrate be able to be swallowed causing abrasion during swallowing and/or intestinal obstruction/impaction.

Typically, substrates to avoid include peat moss and sphagnum moss. These products tend to be acidic (sphagnum peat pH of 3-4) and can produce ion exchange and electrolyte imbalance problems in the salamander leading to morbidity and potential mortality. Gravel should also be avoided especially in the top layer of substrate as tiger salamanders tend to lunge at their prey and can ingest small gravel in the process leading to gut obstruction/impaction. Cedar or pine wood chips, bark or mulch should never be used as a substrate because the oils in these woods are toxic to amphibians.

I think you would find the consensus on this board for an appropriate substrate would be coco-fiber, organic topsoil or a mix of both. When purchasing topsoil, make sure it is free of chemicals (fertilizers, pesticides, etc.).

I see that you are new to this board and would recommend that if you haven't seen this informational sheet, it might prove beneficial to you regarding care of your tigers:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Nick, you’ve answered most of your questions ;). Yes, topsoil is fine if it’s free from fertilizers, improvers or pesticides. I can’t guarantee it won’t stick to your salamanders. That’s one of the hazards of burrowing animals, they tend to get mucky. Bark chippings are another inexpensive substrate you can purchase from a garden centre. I would avoid the sphagnum.

Have you thought about plastic tubing? This can be sunk into your substrate and if positioned correctly will allow a degree of viewing (albeit just a head view). I find that mole salamanders will normally take the easy option and use an existing tunnel rather than dig themselves a new one. They won’t get too mucky in a plastic tube.

Edit* Jan beat me! I personally have used bark chippings and bark mulch for years without problems.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Nick, you’ve answered most of your questions ;). Yes, topsoil is fine if it’s free from fertilizers, improvers or pesticides. I can’t guarantee it won’t stick to your salamanders. That’s one of the hazards of burrowing animals, they tend to get mucky. Bark chippings are another inexpensive substrate you can purchase from a garden centre. I would avoid the sphagnum.

Have you thought about plastic tubing? This can be sunk into your substrate and if positioned correctly will allow a degree of viewing (albeit just a head view). I find that mole salamanders will normally take the easy option and use an existing tunnel rather than dig themselves a new one. They won’t get too mucky in a plastic tube.

Edit* Jan beat me! I personally have used bark chippings and bark mulch for years without problems.
Hi Mark
What wood are you using for the mulch/chips?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Here in the US it's pretty hard to come by a suitable substrate product at one of the big home-improvement stores. Home Depot seems to have only one product available that is suitable, and it's "top soil" product. It's not real topsoil but a mixture of various things (like rice hulls). I've been using it for about 4 months now and I can't complain, though Mark is right - being sticky, it tends to lessen the impact of the tiger salamanders' appearance when they are above ground. I like the idea of this pre-made tunnel though. What kind of tubing do you use Mark?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi John,
This pond tubing is my favourite kind. It comes in a huge range of sizes which means you get the correct size for the species. It’s flexible (stiff in short lengths however) and is ribbed so it allows the animal to grip on a slope. In the UK it’s available from any decent aquatic shop.

nickz123

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I think I will go with either straight top soil or a mix of top soil and EcoEarth. I will post some pictures once I get everything fixed up.
Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1