sick axie with bad stomach

debbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey peps
my axie is sick he is a lucistic axie not sure of his age but hes about 7 inches and ive had him about 3 months hes with another axie about the same size. about 4 days ago he stopped wanting his food and would avoid it. he is normally very active but he wasnt moving hardly at all now he seems to be in pain and wiggling around like theres somthing inside thats hurting him he also has diareah i dont know how to cure it or if diareah is fatal in axies he is with another axie who is fine shall i seperate them
i think i was over feeding him could this of brought it on also the temp is about 22 degrees could this of made him stressed and brought it on, ive ordered a azoo aquarium fan that should be here soon. im feeding them earthworms, mealworms, bloodworms and aquamaster axolotl pellets.
can anyone help as im unexperienced in keeping axies and want to make him better as soon as possible
thanks debbie.

Yes Debbie if i were you i would separate them, especially as it wouldn't be nice for the other axie to accidently swallow the runny poo (yuk). Perhaps a day or 2 of starvation would help too.As for the temperature causing it i'm not sure, but they do get stressed by high temps so its possible i guess. Also what kind of substrate do you have them on?

im not sure what could have caused this but i will ask, do you crush or remove the heads from the mealworms.if not this could be the problem as mealworms tend to bite the insides of axies.

I would seperate him into a container with dechlorinated water and put him somewhere cooler...the fridge if neccessary..make sure he is covered and has a lid ontop, plus a cloth to darken it.This will allow him to calm down and de stress( wonder if it would work for me!!) I would also with hold feeding for a day or two. What else do you have in your tank ?

i use sand as a substrate, the axies are in the tank with one little pleco i usually crush the heads on the mealworms but lately ive stopped if that was the case that he got bitten wat would happen.
i will put him in the fridge tonight and give a water change in the big tank
let u know how he gets on
o and how long should i keep him in the fridge

You should stop feeding mealworms. They should only be fed occasionally with heads decapitated or crushed. Our local petshop used to feed them to the axolotl juvenile axies they got in but stopped after one died. If it doesn't die it could cause severe discomfort to your axolotl.

As for your pleco you should remove it from your axolotl tank. See: www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml#id26 and http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/8/37244.html?1118030284

Keep the axolotl in the fridge for a couple of days or up to a week. Just make sure that you change the water completely each day and avoid pulling the container in and out of the fridge every few hours. This can be just as stressful to an axolotl.

i will remove the pleco now didnt realise what damage they can do

my axie is still refusing food is this because he is so cold in the fridge he hasnt eaten in about five days what shall i do he seems to have past all the food that he has eaten as he is not messing up his little tank in the fridge should i take him out or leave him a few more days without munch can u help plz, thanks, debbie

Five days isn't long enough to cause concern, especially if it's in the fridge.

If you feel he's better, then you can take him out. I would take him out and try some different foods and see if that helps.

my axie has started to eat again he ate a small earth worm and a wax worm as a treat as he has been ill thanks for all the help it really helped

much appreciated;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back