Brineshrimp

Dinozzo

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Im currently feeding my baby axolotls brineshrimp and i was just wondering if the salt water from the brinshrimp will hurt my babys? Im raising the brineshrimp in jars that are floating in my tropical fish tank with a air stone going through the lid. I am having no trouble hatching them but i use a syringe to suck up the shrimps, this means the salt water from the shrimps is being sucked up to. then i just put the lot in my axie tank. Will the salt from the brineshrimp burn them? I have only had on die out of about 40 and they have been eating brineshrimp for about a week but have been hatched for about two.

I imagine this depends on how big your tank is and whether it can absorb the odd syringe of salt water. I'd avoid if possible. My technique was: I turkey-basted brine shrimp (along with salt water) over a paper towel (handee towel) and then inverted the paper towel over a container and carefully basted some aged water over the back of the towel, which both rinsed the brine shrimp and detached them from the towel into a clean container. All the best.

Or if you have access to a brine shrimp net (they're pretty cheap), or make one yourself out of a pair of stockings, you can use that to strain and rinse the shrimp.

Ok thanks. Im going away for a couple of days soon so my sister is going to look after them. It is easiest if she continues the way I have been doing it but after that i will change the way i put them in a tank. I change the water often as well, do you think this would reduce the levels of salt im puttin in?
Thanks for all you help:kiss:

Changing the water daily will reduce salt levels. I found it hard to purchase a brineshrimp net in my area, but have used a man's white or cream hanky (so you can see the bs) over an empty coffee jar or even over one of our smaller nets (elastic round outer edge) which works just as well for rinsing; then same method as Mary Kate for detaching them to another container.

awesome thanks everyone for your help !

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back