Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

changing substrate

sdhuz36

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have my axies on large river stones, looking at changing the substrate to coral sand, is this OK?

Cheers
Sharon

Attachments

• Ancalagon the black and Chimera.JPG
    Ancalagon the black and Chimera.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 271

kclinton

Reaction score
No I think it will mess with ph. You can use pool filter sand or play sand.

Abrahm

Reaction score
Karrie is right, coral sand will raise the pH and hardness of the water over time which can lead to problems when you do water changes.

Your best bet is pool filter sand which can be obtained from any decent pool and spa store as this is less dusty and requires little cleaning before being used. Play sand can be obtained from any home improvement store (Lowes, Home Depot, Menards) but is very dusty and dirty and needs to be washed quite thoroughly before use.

sdhuz36

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that makes sense, coral sand is alkaline, I went to this aquarium and they said the same as you; they advised me to get aquarium sand and rinse it thoroughly. Ancalagon and Chimera are enjoying their new surroundings. I bought a water testing kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, as my little mates were not looking too happy; it's all good now.

Cheers

Sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!