Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Got a small aquarium, possible housing for newt/salamander?

damien

Reaction score
I have a small aquarium that currently houses 6 juvie axolotls, but eventually they'll grow too big to keep in there and I'll need to give them away/sell them. At the moment they are happy in the tank, so no problems there.

My question is:
The tank is 28l (40*255*28), and I was thinking of putting one or more newts/salamanders in there when the axies have changed owners.

Before I want to decide if I want to get newts/sala's and educate myself more, I want to know if the tank is big enough. If it isn't, I'll forget about getting them until I have more space etc. The last thing I want is to torture the future residents.
I couldn't find a topic about minimum size for housing, so I assume it varies per species.

I don't really have a preference for aquatic, semi-aquatic or terrestrial species.
I think I can safely assume that the bigger specimens are out of the question ;)

damien

Reaction score
Are those aquatic, or semi-aquatic?
I checked some youtube movies and saw them both in aquaria and terraria. Not that youtube is a reliable source, but it got me wondering.

Are there also species that can tolerate higher temperatures?

lims

Reaction score
They will maybe be easier to feed and more active if you keep them fully aquatic but with one small island. Their skin actually kind of changes depending on whether they're living on land or underwater. In my experience they can be kept fully aquatic with no land just broad leaved aquatic plants near the surface which they can rest on, but true if they are very young they may want land.

damien

Reaction score
hmz, I made a typo in the first post, the tank is NOT 40*255*28, but 40*25.5*28.
Only a 2.3m difference :p
I assume you all saw it as a typo :p

I've been thinking a bit, and I think I prefer semi-aquatic and terrestrial species.
I already have 2 adult axolotls, so I already have aquatic ones :).
the C.O. is a nice newt, though. I'll keep that one in mind.

I have no idea whatsoever what species are available in the netherlands (I don't know a shop or breeder here), so I don't know if I should be picky at all.
By the time my juvie axies are away, around spring 2008 I think, I'll look at the options.
Even my axies were very hard to get.. took me about 3 months to get them.

How many newts like the C.O. can I keep in a tank of this size?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you are ideally looking for a semi-aquatic or terrestrial newt that tolerate warm temperatures. I have one additional question... Is it critical that the newt(s) be able to remain in such a small tank their whole lives?

Most captive-bred newts are available as juveniles. There are many species that could live in such a tank very well as juvs, but might need a larger tank later. The following are some warmth-tolerant species you could consider: Cynops pyrrhogaster, Cynops ensicauda, Cynops cyanurus (or "chenggongensis", which may or may not be a misnomer), Tylototriton (any that you can find as CB juvs), Triturus (crested newts), Hynobius, etc. So, if you can make contact with some breeders that are within shipping distance of you, I would encourage you to consider getting captive-bred newts. You could keep several juveniles in this tank.

damien

Reaction score
To my knowledge salamanders can live up to 15-20 years, so i can't say they'll be in there for their whole life, but as long as I still live with my parents (should be no more then 2 years.. hopefully) I don't have more space.
It would be really cool if I could raise them from the eggs, but I don't know if that is too much to ask :)

grunsven

Reaction score
The salamander community in The Netherlands is quite well organised so finding newts/salamanders shouldn't be to difficult. Even within driving distance.
Cynops is a very good option and although aquatic a very different animal from a axolotl.

For (Dutch) info check:
www. Caudata.nl (with forum) and
http://home.hetnet.nl/~dresens/salamanders.htm

damien

Reaction score
I've been looking around at the species list, and I like the C.o and the Tylototriton Kweichowensis.
Unfortunately I can't find much info on the kweichows.. like max length, habitat etc.

Does anyone have any info on the kweichows? Google doesn't give me all that much info.. :(

robkeulers

Reaction score
Damien,

Tylototriton kweichowensis will grow too big for your tank.

As Roy said, in the Netherlands there are several breeders of newts and salamanders. Just take a look at www.caudata.nl

You can Also mail me, you can find my email in my profile, then I can tell you where you can find CB newts in the Netherlands

damien

Reaction score
I found a breeder list on caudata.nl (I registered yesterday) so I can take a look at that one.

maybe I misunderstood the post from Jennewt, I thought that the species mentioned would fit in my tank :)
If that is the case, what can I put in my tank?

There are some requirements for me:
In the summer it can be 25+ degrees celcius in my room, so I can cool a bit with fans, but an extra watercooler is far out of my budget. From the posts on the axie forum I know that cooling the water can be a pain in the rear, but I don't know if land parts are easyer. The salamander(s) should be able to handle at least room temperature. Unless cooling land is easy, then I can fix something.

The salamanders should preferably able to eat the same as my axies (earthworms and frozen bloodworms.)

jar_913

Reaction score
25c + will be a big problem. It will be to hot for a c.orientalis. Do you have any colder area in your house? Take a look at Cynops Ensicauda. It lives in the south part of japan and survives temperatures up to 25c. But they will be more happy with like 22-23c. Maybe a triturus marmoratus/pygmaeus. I think a pygmaeus will be able to live in that tank but a marmoratus will need a bigger when it grows up. To keep the tank cold: do not use any lights!, have the tank on the floor, its colder there. The best is to find a cold place in your house. If i was you, I would look after a small land newt or sell the tank and buy a new tank that is like 40-50 l at least and make space for it.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was suggesting those species as appropriate for this tank as juveniles. Many of them do get too big as adults. Sorry if I was unclear. Cynops cyanurus (chenggongensis) may be your best bet - small and reasonably heat tolerant.

Given the summer temperature, you should consider some kind of frog instead of newts.

damien

Reaction score
Just wondering, how do people in australia keep newts? 25c is nothing compared to the temps over there..

And Rob suggested cynops ensicauda popei, and looking at the species page on cc, they should be able to handle that, since Okinawa is sub-tropical.

For cooling I had an idea:
I have a small fridge that cools using a small (8cm) fan that blows on a heat sink. And it cools surprisingly good. Something similar should be able to cool a terrarium, right? That way you have a minimal airflow that could dry out the salamander otherwise.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1