How do I?

taraible

Reaction score
Country
Canada
How do I 'decontaminate' new items for a C.Orientalis tank?

Thanks

That depends on where you get them. I usually just give things a good scrub (with a scrub brush) under hot water.

What are they contaminated with? Most non-pathogens can be removed with little more than a water rinse. Bringing items from a tank that contained a different species or an unwell specimen of the same species should be cleaned thoroughly or discarded. The cleaning depends on the type of material. Non-porous material can be rinsed with a 10% solution of household bleach solution. Porous items can be soaked in a simmilar solution but require far more rinsing. There are also disenfectants specificly designed for veterinary use that can be purchased from any of the veterinary supply houses. It is adviseable to consult a lisences vet regarding their useage however to avoid harming your critters.

The cleaning depends on the type of material. Non-porous material can be rinsed with a 10% solution of household bleach solution. Porous items can be soaked in a simmilar solution but require far more rinsing.

I'll echo MRIGUY's advice in that dirt and other contaminants can be scrubbed off under hot water but if you want to sterilize things that were in a tank with sick animals you'll want to be far more careful. I would soak non-porous items in a 10% bleach solution for at least 20 minutes as it may take this long for the bleach to have full effect.

For porous items (wood, some rocks, etc) I would either discard them or boil them in water for 30 minutes or more. I think the risk of bleach staying within the pores is too high to use bleach on them.

Yes, I meant to say soaking but my fingers types rinsing. Sorry about that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back