Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tetra fish?

childish_elpenor

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been looking into breeding fish to feed my axie, and I would have liked to have guppies, but I can't find any. So i'm wondering if tetras would be okay?

Also, would I need to worry about making my axie sick by introducing new fish rapidly? You know, diseases and such.

Lisa

Reaction score
You'll need to quarantine any feeder fish for 30 days before putting them in your tank (and plants for that matter). Apparently they're easy to breed yourself, and then you know they are disease and parasite free.:D

childish_elpenor

Reaction score
I mean putting the baby fish into the tank with my axie for eats. Can I just pop them in? Otherwise i'm going to keep them well, well apart. Different tanks completely.

Lisa

Reaction score
Sorry, I get what you mean now. If you've bred them yourself, you should be able to just put them in I think. But don't know anything about tetrafish specifically; i'm sure your axie would eat them as it seems they eat anything moving!

childish_elpenor

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I really would prefer guppies, but I think tetras will be my option b.

Abrahm

Reaction score
Tetras are tropical and need a higher temp.

This is true and would mean the axies would need to eat the fish right away or they will probably sicken and die.

I would recommend you keep looking for guppies. Tetra's (depending upon species) are far more difficult to breed. For some you need to watch weather patterns and then there is the fact they are egg scatterers and the fry start off much smaller.

I can't think of a fish store I have been to that didn't sell guppies. I would recommend trying a few different stores. A lot of store sell guppies as feeder fish. These feeder guppies are hardier, smaller and I would say they breed more quickly and easily.

childish_elpenor

Reaction score
NZ shops don't necessarily have the widest stock, but i've looked on a guppy forum, and people are selling them there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!