New Tiger!

Benzo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've fallin in love with salamanders since I caught a wild marbled. Today I got my newest addition. A tiger salamander. I saw him first last week when I was getting crickets at the local pet store. So I spent the week preparing for him. I'm not sure about it's sex yet, the store didn't know. It's a ferocious eater. It ate 5 large crix right after I got it in it's new home. Here are some pix.
Bodyshots
Tiger-1.jpg

Tiger-2.jpg

Eating, you can see the crix in it's mouth.
TigerEating.jpg

TigerEating2.jpg

Hope you like the pics.
Ben

Nice looking sally. Tigers are always fun since they will eat almost anything that is waved in front of them. Just a tip though, tigers really need hiding placed and a deep soft substrate to burrow into. Without a place to hide or borrow, he may get stressed and loose his appetite. Usually 2-3 inches of the stuff you are using is fine. There is an excellent care sheet here on caudata for tigers.

hi

Nice tiger.:D He really does have a big appetite doesn't he. I'd have to go with the last post stating that you probably would want to add a shelter for it so it doesn't get stressed.

Shelter

He does have a shelter on the other side of his water bowl. Thos pics were taken immediately after I got him home. He burrowed earlier. I see the dirt move sometimes but thats it. lol

Ben, nice looking tiger.
On another thread, we have been discussing your marbled - you will probably see a large difference in these species with regard to their 'personalities' - tigers tend to be much more 'outgoing'....and a lot larger in size as full grown adults. One thing you might want to consider - I notice that you have small pebbles in your substrate....tigers tend to lunge at their prey and I've always been concerned that in the lunging process, they may injest these small objects which could lead to impaction/obstruction and potentially death. Larger rocks are fine. Just a thought for for you since you are just starting out as a keeper for captive caudates.

And, just a little reminder in case you may be wondering, the two species should not be housed in the same vivarium.

Tiger

Thanks for the info Jan. I had just read about the pebbles the other day. I've since removed all of the smaller ones and left a few larger stones just for a little deco. I definately know not to house him with my marbled. The size difference is tremendous and I wouldn't want a quarrel regardless.
I have my tiger in a large breeder box that has a floorspace of 16" by 14". It's about 8" tall. I have approx. 3-4" of eco earth. About 4" on one end slanting to about 3" although he's got it all messed up from burrowing. I think he's actually a she. I don't see a bulge near his vent. I also have a cool whip bowl converted into a hide in there but he really doesn't mess with it. I also have a home-made water dish thats about 1 1/2" deep and 6" across. It seems he'd rather stay under it than drink from it or soak in it. Anyway, it seems like he has plenty of floorspace. What do you recommend? I was thinking of creating a naturalistic setup in a 20 gallon long but I hear that elaborate setups are a waste of time for tigers since they produce so much waste. A 20 gallon would be nice but is it too much? Would a 10 gallon be better suited for a solitary tiger? I don't plan to breed or add any tank-mates. Thanks again.
Ben

Thanks for the info Jan. I had just read about the pebbles the other day. I've since removed all of the smaller ones and left a few larger stones just for a little deco. I definately know not to house him with my marbled. The size difference is tremendous and I wouldn't want a quarrel regardless.
I have my tiger in a large breeder box that has a floorspace of 16" by 14". It's about 8" tall. I have approx. 3-4" of eco earth. About 4" on one end slanting to about 3" although he's got it all messed up from burrowing. I think he's actually a she. I don't see a bulge near his vent. I also have a cool whip bowl converted into a hide in there but he really doesn't mess with it. I also have a home-made water dish thats about 1 1/2" deep and 6" across. It seems he'd rather stay under it than drink from it or soak in it. Anyway, it seems like he has plenty of floorspace. What do you recommend? I was thinking of creating a naturalistic setup in a 20 gallon long but I hear that elaborate setups are a waste of time for tigers since they produce so much waste. A 20 gallon would be nice but is it too much? Would a 10 gallon be better suited for a solitary tiger? I don't plan to breed or add any tank-mates. Thanks again.
Ben
I think your set-up is fine for a single adult tiger, good substrate depth, a hide and a water dish. One will do well in a 10 gallon aquarium, which provides about the same surface area that you have. With these guys, viv surface area is more important than height. A 20 gallon long would be a palatial estate for a single tiger....nothing at all wrong with that - very generally, the bigger the better.

As for elaborate set-ups, my preference is a simple set up that is easily cleaned and maintained. Elaborate set-ups are attractive, but the animal doesn't need it - is more for cosmetics and more difficult to clean/maintain IMO. I like to have real looking silk plants to give a little more natural appearance to my aquarium vivs. Live plants are tough with tigers as they dig...and there go the plant roots.

Regarding your water bowl, just make sure the tiger can easily get out of it - believe it or not, there is a chance it could drown - they are not great swimmers in general. Typically, they are found around water only during the breeding season, however mine will occasionally take a quick dip in their water bowls. Mine also hide under their water dishes and rarely use their other hides.

Tigers do not drink per se - they get their water from absorbtion through their skin and from their prey. That is why you need to keep their substrate moist - but not soggy. The water bowl also helps maintain moisture in the viv.

Regarding waste...a tiger's feces looks like a little brown football (up to 1+ inches depending on the size of the animal)...often you will see undigested insect parts in it, like heads and wings of crickets. I like to spot clean my vivs a few times a week to remove feces. If you will be feeding crickets often, they should be gut loaded or dusted with a quality vitamin and calcium mixture. Earthworms and nightcrawlers are the 'perfect food' as the calcium/phosphorus ratio is optimal.

Glad to see you have caught the caudata 'bug' - welcome! Please keep asking any questions you may have. There are many very knowledgeable folks on this site who are more than willing to share information and experiences.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back