caudate collections.

dani

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im not sure if this thread has been done before if so oops, im fairly new here...i was just curious to know what caudate collections people have, I at the moment have a relatively small collection, 2 taricha granulosa's 6 cynops orientals, and 2 eastern newts space ghost and tyrannosaurus alan.
small collection but that means i have more time to spend making sure the ones i have are well looked after.
:smile:

You think your collection is small? Well mine consists of 1 female Necturus maculosus.:D Thats all I can handle right now.

Inverts are my main hobby though. I have many.

Last edited:
7 Tylototriton kweichowensis
5 T. taliangensis
17 T. shanjing
4 Echinotriton andersoni (Okinawan race)
4 Echinotriton andersoni (Tokunoshima Island race)

Thats all of the salamanders at this point. There are a few other herps, inverts, and fish as well.
Chip

2 C.e.ensicauda
2 C.pyrrhogaster
15 N.v.iouisianensis
6 N.v.viridescens
2 T.granulosa
4 t.dobrogicus
and I'm looking to add T.shanjing

You can also randomly check people's profiles where they often have their animals listed. Click on the poster's name and a menu comes up.

I have a little collection of caudates going on right now. They are as follows...

~100 adult Amybstoma mexicanum
9 adult Pleurodeles waltl (and a couple hundred larvae)
7 Tylotriton shanjing
~25 c.b. Taricha granulosa
10 Triturus marmoratus
3 Triturus cristatus
2 Triturus karelinii
2 Triturus carnifex
5 Lissotriton vulgaris
1 Lissotriton montandoni
2 Siren lacertina
7 Siren intermedia
6 c.b. Pseudobranchus axanathus axanathus
6 Necturus maculosus
15 Hynobius dunni
10 Plethedon glutinosus
13 Mesotriton alpestris apuanus
12 Cynops cyanurus
7 Cynops pyrrhogaster
1 Ambystoma laterale
6 Ambystoma tigrinum
1 Ambystoma mavortium

and that's it for the caudates, like I said...small collection:)

You think your collection is small? Well mine consists of 1 female Necturus maculosus.:D Thats all I can handle right now.

Inverts are my main hobby though. I have many.

same here the newts i have are enough for the time being im planning on getting a couple more species in the future,possibly italian crested newts, and spanish sharp ribbed, ideally I would love to get some Neurergus kaiseri but not untill i have waaaay more xperience. Apart from the newts ive got a gecko 3 cats, 2 chihuahuas and 2 african pygmy dormice to look after.

otterwoman~ i never knew you could do that, thanks :D

I have a little collection of caudates going on right now.
That’s just under 450 mouths to feed…! Do you hire help? Or do you rarely leave the house? :D

I couldn’t cope with that many animals. I have small groups of around 10 different species and they take up plenty of time. I like it to feel like a fun hobby. Any more than what I already have would become a chore.

I've got:

2 axolotls (and ~80 eggs, 1 hatchling)
3 jefferson's salamanders
2 tiger salamanders
1 blue spotted salamander
1 roughskinned newt
2 musk turtles
2 ball pythons
2 ratsnakes
1 kenyan sand boa
1 cat

I'm slowly working on paring down the herd.

7 T. granulosa
2 C. orientalis
5 C. cyanurus
4 T. marmoratus
1 Blue Tongue Skink

Where do you people keep all these things!??? (Especially YOU, Jake! ) Though I should talk, I have at least one tank of something living in every room of my house except the bathroom and kitchen.

i have 34 species and sub species and just now with my juves i have over 300 mouths to feed in caudates alone, then i have snakes, lizards, frogs, toads and some turtles. I f i started typing them i would still be sat here after christmas.

The only question I have Dawm is what is the problem with your kitchen and bathrooms. No room is compltet without a newt. Fell free to tell folks where you heard that first.

Watch the mail.

My caudates (and the turtles) have their own bedroom, while the snakes are spread throughout the rest of the house.

That’s just under 450 mouths to feed…! Do you hire help? Or do you rarely leave the house? :D

It can be stressful, but I'm used to all of them now. I would be overwhelmed if one day someone just gave me 450 amphibians! I built up this collection over time though.
Some friends came over once to "help" with some routine feedings/water changes, but it ended up taking longer with three of us getting in each other's way than it would have if it was just me.
I normally spend from 3-6 hours each day down there keeping up with them.

Dawn-
I keep them in two rooms in my basement. I keep all of the tubs and smaller tanks (20 gallon and under) on 5-shelf racks. The room is cramped, but I know where everything is, so I guess that's all that matters.

I have my tiger `vivarium` (term used loosely) in my bedroom so they always get checked before I go to sleep and when I get up in the morning. Plus they get exposed to me regularly.

I`m having a hard time biting the bullet right now and getting another species. I honestly can`t imagine having collections like those described earlier in this thread. For me there are moral implications there, as well as time issues. Don`t get me wrong, I`m not judging anyone. I just couldn`t manage such collections, in more ways than one.

Those are some pretty biiiig collections. I'm with you John. I have so many Inverts becaues they are well, small.:D I think its great that you folks have the time to care for so many animals, you're are very lucky.

Last edited:
I am inclined to agree with John. Although the thought of having so many creature to observe is pretty cool, it's just not realistic or sensible for some of us. I have:

2 P. Hongkongensis
3 C. Orientalis
1 Wild Type Axolotl
5 T. Kweichowensis Morphs

I also Kept a small Bufo bufo for a few months, and Lisotriton Vulgaris pair for a while.
I always raise frog tadpoles every year as fun-food. The caudates will hunt them but often miss so it's a real challenge for them and fun for me to watch.

I am going to get a Pair of C.B. Triturus Cristatus soon.
To be honest I am pushing it with this new pair, as my love of caudates is permanent yet only one of many interests which take up time and mental/emotional capacity..

I do not have a problem with people keeping larger collections as long as the animals are well cared for. I think that everyone has their own personal carrying capacity of how much they can humanely keep. I have in years past exceeded my own limits and thats when it becomes a chore (as Mark stated) instead of an enjoyable hobby. There are lots of obvious factors that influence how many animals that we keep such as age, having a job, family, income level, and as Sam mentioned other interests. Just some random thoughts on the subject...
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back