Eggs after 10 years!

Natalie Spencer

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Natalie
Hi,
The last old axie from my original lot died recently after 10 years of life.
I now have an adult male and female left.
In all those years of keeping axies, I have never had any lay eggs.....until this morning!
The female has laid roughly about 50 and has a belly full of eggs by the looks of it.
I DON'T WANT TO BREED THEM RIGHT NOW! So I am not sure exactly what to do.....
I have read many posts about it on this forum and I still have a few questions....so please be patient.

If I leave the eggs in the tank with the parents, will they eat the eggs?

Will they eat all the eggs?

If the eggs hatch can I then leave the parents to dispose of their young?

As an alternative I presume that I could siphon out all the eggs and put them on the compost heap in the garden!

I want there to be as little human interuption as possible.
If I just left the eggs, would nature just take it's course?

Would uneaten eggs rot and foul the tank?
If so, how quickly?

Any advice appreciated!
Natalie

Yes the parents will eat the eggs/young. Natural food.

I have seen my axolotl eat the eggs, when they hatch the larvae will gradually disappear . If they have hatched you would best remove the egg sac otherwise it'll breakdown and probably pollute the water. If you have an internal filter you may need to give it a bit of a clean as my axolotl love to challenge me by making things awkward..the eggs get sucked in.....the larvae hatch..
The alternative as you suggest is just bite the buillet and remove them from the tank in a day7 or two and chuck on the compost heap.

Right. The adults won't necessarily eat every last one, and some may end up in the filter, depending on the type of filter you have.

Putting them on the compost heap seems like a reasonable thing to do. The only other alternative offhand would be to offer them to someone locally to raise. Schools are often very interested in getting amphibian eggs for the classroom, for example.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back