few questions about T. marmoratus

jar_913

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Display Name
Jesper
Hi! i am going to buy 2 T. marmoratus. I've read the fact in caudata culture but I still have a few questions. What max temperature do they tolerate? what is the recomended temperature?
I am going to keep them on land untill they are full grown. then i will keep then on land the whole year exept on the spring. Then they will have like 25 % land and 75 % water. Is that a good idea? I have a tank that is 80L (80*40*40). Is it enought big? They are only 5 cm right now so i will keep them in a 40L tank to start with. My chinese firebellys will have the other in meantime. My japanese firebellys wants a new tank to so it is not impossible for me to buy a new tank if 80*40*40 is not enought for 2 triturus marmoratus. I will feed them with small worms to begin with. When they are bigger will I feed them with crickets and worms. Is that good or do they need anything else to? any vitamines or something? How long will it take for them to grow up? And i wonder where they could be from. half of the body is just black. not green spotted. Here is a picture: http://www.repti.net/repti2/index.php?MODULE=Buysell&PAGE=3&ID=223822

Well thats everything for now. And sorry for my bad english :)

They will tolerate winter temperatures of 4 C through to summer temps of 24 C without problems. Mine have survived warm summer days in the high 20s without ill effect but I would avoid prolonged exposure to high temperatures.

Your tank sounds like a good size for pair, in fact you could fit a few more in there. You’ll increase the probability of breeding with a larger group. Mine tend to go aquatic during the winter - they can’t wait for spring.

Worms are a great staple food and there should be no need for additional vitamins. Offer them a variety of food if you can.

Can't help you with the locality I'm afraid.

Last edited:
thank you! as you can see, I live in sweden and it is very cold here. Its like 20-22c in my room in the summer. Do they need to have so cold in the winter? Is not 17-18 c enought? I understand that I wont get any breeding then but du they survive a winter in 18 c?

I believe they will survive a winter at 18C. I would recommend getting them a little colder if you can.

The coloration in the photo (black on the sides) looks quite normal for juveniles. Look again at the last 2 photos on the Caudata Culture caresheet. I don't think this color tells you anything (or not much) about the locality.

Ok. If i have them in 5c in the winter, will they sleep or will they be active? I mean if i can have them in a small box because it is not so easy to cool down their big tank to 5c.

At 5C they will be sluggish and less active but will still feed. Getting them down to such low temperatures is not a necessity for breeding but they will require some sort of cooling. Yes, you can house them in smaller containers whilst cooling.

okey thank you!
I have some more questions. I tried to search on google but every site says different things.
How big do they get? I've heard everything between 14 and 20 cm. are they big as fire salamanders? (salamandra salamandra). Is it any way to sex them when they are juveniles? and how old do they need to be able to breed? And is it difficult to get them breeding? Many questions, but i want to be well prepared :)

Last edited:
The average adult size would be around 14-16 cm long. Females being larger than males. You won´t be able to sex them as juvies, but mine became very obvious at around 9cm long. I´ve heard of ppl breeding them in their first year, but if you´re planning on raising them terrestrially, it might take a bit longer. As long as i know marmoratus are like other cresteds, which means sometimes they´ll breed even if you hand´t noticed it hehe.
I´d recommend keeping the juvies in a smaller tank. In a 40gl tank they won´t find the food, and you might even have to spend some time trying to find them every day. They´ll spend their whoooole time under anything they can hide, so they don´t need much space.
Anyway this is a great species, my very favourite(and i like them more and more everyday), i´m sure you´ll have great fun with them for years :)

I have another tank were It lives 1.1 c. orientalis right know. I have a c. pyrrhogaster sasayamae too so I can maybe figure out wich animal should be in wich tank. well the other tank is 40*30*30. would that be better? Right know they are only 5 cm long so they will be in a even smaller tank to start with. I am choosing between t. marmoratus and s. salamandra. In sweden is it difficult to find any salamanders at all but i've found t. marmoratus know and I think its best if i buy them. It can take years to find a salamandra salamandra and i think i like both of them exept that the s. salamandra is bigger.

Sometimes juvenile marmoratus can be sexed by color. I believe it's the males that are typically a brighter green color. It's not a fool-proof method, as they all tend to be darker before shedding. If possible, try to get the seller to send you one bright green, one dark green.

I don´t know Jen...my brightest and darkest animals are both males. I think the best he could do since he seems to have space is getting more animals....3-4 would increase the chances.

I would likte to buy like 4 animals, but right know I only have money for 2. I have to buy stuff to the tank and other stuff, and I doesent have too much money right now. If the guy who are selling them have animals left after christmas, then I will maybe buy more of them. I will think about the collor, it is better than nothing. I've fixed the tank now so I can go buy them so soon as possible. I will take pictures and show here soon. Thanks for your help :)

/ Jesper who cant talk english

The odds of getting a pair from only 2 juveniles is not great. Even if you do get a pair there’s no guarantee they will breed. I have quite a large group of adults and only 50% show any interest in breeding.

yes i know :( but I will buy more of them if i have money left and I will try to find more of them later. I shall buy a new computer soon and I shall see how much money I will have after. Then I will buy at least 2 more. But I dont buy them just because I want them to breed, but it would be nice if they do

sorry for dubelpost but I've got news :)
The guy said that I can buy them cheaper now, so I will buy 2 now and 1 or 2 more after christmas (I will see how much money I got then).

/ JesperNilsson

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back