Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

8 firebellied toads too much in a 20 long?

xenopus

Reaction score
ive only got three right now but i want more i was thinking 8 or so is this to much? and is there an ideal ratio of males to females like with some animals? i think i have two males and a female at the moment.

keechoo

Reaction score
The rule of thumb is 1 toad for every 4 gallons. So, for a 20 gallon tank you can have a maximum of 5 FBTs.

Jumpshot724

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon and I have 4 toads in it. Granted I only got them today they seem to be doing well and space doesn't seem to be an issue at all. Then again, my tank is a terrestrial set-up with a large water bowl for swimming. I was actually looking at it today thinking I could actually fit 5 or 6 toads in there no problem, but I think it's best to just stick with 4 haha.

keechoo

Reaction score
4 is too many. You might not have problems now but they will begin to stress which will cause illness and disease. I hope you clean their water once or more a day as their toxins can be dangerous to themselves if not properly taken care of.

KaylaContagious

Reaction score
Re: 8 firebellies too much in a 20 long?

I think 5 should be good in that size tank. I currently have 4 fire bellied toads in a 20 long and they are doing very well.

lexmiller

Reaction score
Re: 8 firebellies too much in a 20 long?

Think about how those poor things are crammed into one tank in the stores. When I bought mine they were in a 10 gal tank with about 6 to 7 others. I have two for a 55 gallon tank. My kids love the little guys, and they are a lot more healthy since I rescued them from that tank.

uwe

Reaction score
I hope you clean their water once or more a day as their toxins can be dangerous to themselves if not properly taken care of.

This statement is incorrect. 1) The animals dont release their toxin, if they are not attacked and can well distinguish between predators and their own species.
2) The toxin (Bombesin, which is btw a 14-Amino Acid Peptide, which has probably no long halflife time outside the animal) is not toxic to the animals, this would not make any reason. To be exakt b.orientalis has three different kind Bombesin as published some years ago.

It is perfectly good to change the water, especially when a group of animals is housed, but please don´t give wrong statements about animals toxicating themselves.

See you

Uwe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1