!!!!problems!!!!

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Country
United States
I ordered daphnia last week and I havent recieved it yet!!! I got a couple eggs about to hatch and I dont know if the daphnia will make it in time... I ordered them from a lab and its supposed ot be here now!!! I dont know when it'll be here so does anyone know of anything I can substitute for daphnia for now??? That I can get from somewhere else?? like pet stores or anything I can get real fast!!!

If you're planning to only feed Daphnia to the larvae, then you'll need a few weeks to culture them before you'll have enough to use as a food source. Most biological supply shops will only send you a few to get started. My best suggestion to you is to order some brine shrimp eggs. It takes them a day to hatch and they can be used as a sole food source for the first few weeks until the larvae can be switched to pellet food.

www.brineshrimpdirect.com/ is a good source for eggs in bulk if you can't find them in your local pet stores.

First, calm down a little. I'm not sure what species you have, but I think they don't eat for a couple days after they hatch, while they're living on yolk. Call around to your local pet shops if they have brine shrimp, which if you start it when they hatch, they'll be ready when they're ready to eat. I got brine shrimp eggs from my local pet store. Also, if you can find blackworms in a local pet store and cut them really really small, which I've done, they could eat those. You're more likely to find that in a mom-and-pop pet store than a big chain.

A Brineshrimp hatchery is the best way to go, I think. Adult Daphnia are too big for newborns to eat and you need a LOT of them to make a staple diet. BBS can be hatched really quick and you only need 2 small hatcheries to have food every day.
Adult Brine shrimps that you can buy at the store are also way too big.

How many eggs do you have?

thanx everyone!!! my eggs havent hatched yet but they are in their final stages before hatching...
I thick they're all gonna be melanoid or wiltype axolotls... I only got a few eggs kuzz this is my 1st time but as of today i think everything is going to be ok i just freaked out alittle... I know that they wont eat for acouple of days after hatching.. but i just wanted to have a food source ready and stable but I think everything is going to be ok .....i'll have the daphnia in a day or so and the eggs wont be hatching today maybe in 3 days i'll put em in cooler conditions to prolong the hatching process..i'll keep everyonoe updated .... i'm looking towards SUCCESS!!!

Crested, I think they'll all be melanoid, but definitely let me know what you get out of 'em.

I've only had one hatch yet, but there will be hatchings in the next few days.

thats kool kaysie!!! i'll let u know what i get out of them.....good luck to you too!

Have you located a source of live blackworms? If all else fails, you can usually get them to eat finely chopped live blackworms, even as a first food if necessary. And blackworms will come in handy as they get bigger.

blackworms are allways present in shops here in the Metro Detroit area....

THEY HAVE HATCHED!! most of them hatched but still i'm waiting on acouple more eggs....these little
axolotls are awsome and they seem to be doing fine...and my daphnia seem to be doing ok as of rite now... i'm ready for anything

Good to hear. As of last night, I still only had the one hatchling. They're taking their sweet time (and it's only 60F in there anyway).

wow cool good luck to you both i plan on breeding and keeping a couple of axie eggs in the near future what would be a good source of food for baby axies and are easy to keep and can reproduce lots and dont mind axie water?

am practicing with daphnia at the moment and seem to be doing OK still not sure on what I'm doing but there alive so i must be doing something right

lso do baby axies eat alot of daphnia? or what ever food source you choose to bring them up on also i dont wana do the whole chopping thing so something small enough as well

Daphnia work well, as long as you have a LOT of them. Babies eat tons. But if you get a good group of adult daphnia, they'll produce a fair amount of babies. They also live in fresh water, so will survive pretty well in axie water.

But it's best if you do switch them to something bigger as they grow. Mine will be going on blackworms within a couple of weeks.

Crested: I don't know if you have any, but there are definitely a few leucistics in the bunch. If you want some leucistics, let me know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back