Help! Going out of town--Slow-release feeder?

dirka

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!
I am going out of town for a week and I was just wondering what people usually do with axolotls for this long of time. I know there are slow-release feeders for fish and I didn't know if there was something similar for axolotls. Dirka, my salamander, is probably about 7 months old and 6 or 7 inches long. I usually feed her a frozen bloodworm cube every other day with some reptomin every once in a while. I don't know if any of that is important but just in case. Thanks!!!

I haven't heard good things about those slow release feeders. Friends have used them and they have said they tend to break or dirty the tank quickly.

A week without food should be ok for an adult axie. Just feed just before you go. Though it would probably be better if you could get someone to come in and feed once, but yea, I am planning to go away for a week next month too and wasn't planning on feeding my axolotl for that time (my axolotl is about 19cm and 9 months old).

she'll be fine for a week. Feed her before you go and as soon as you return, and do a 20% water change the day before you go and the day after you return. Did the same thing with mine a few weeks ago and all was well. They can go a few weeks without food (obviously not desirable).

Don't use the slow-release feeders, it would just muck the water. I agree, she'll be fine for a week, no problem. Keep the room as cold as possible - this will decrease her metabolic rate.

I've merged your threads, dirka. Please don't post the same question twice.

Sorry! I hadn't explored sufficiently and I thought the message would be better suited for the other topic group! I make sure to only post in one area next time. Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back