Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aquarium Tank Stand

lazylilsnoop

Reaction score
hie,
i was wondering if i want to make my own Aquarium Tank Stand for my axolotls, which wood should i use? people at Bunning Warehouse suggest i buy it off an aquarium shop as its much cheaper then to D.I.Y

I was thinking of using MDF wood, but the Bunning Staff recommend me to use pine wood, which is tougher, cheap but cost alot to get it cut. is it true?

Abrahm

Reaction score
Well, I would definitely be careful on what lumber you use to construct an aquarium stand. Water weights approximately 10 pounds per gallon or 1.25kg per liter with water and decorations. MDF could be used if it was very well supported and it would have to be water sealed in some way. MDF does not stand up to moisture well at all.

Personally I would use a piece of plywood with a series of wooden supports and frame. Unless you have woodworking tools available to you it would probably be cheaper and easier to buy a stand.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The thing with making an aquarium stand is no matter what you use, it HAS to be well supported. Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon (or 1 kg per liter), so it's extremely heavy. A 55 gallon tank is 208 liters, which weighs 440 pounds (without the tank), or 200 kg.

lazylilsnoop

Reaction score
lol :proud:

i manage to found out a few site that shows me how he did their tank stand.
followed them by using pine wood as the frame, then MDF to cover the sides. the top part(below the aquarium) i use a thicker MDF board, so that the weight will be distributed evenly. i also heard the Styrofoam is also to distribute the weight of the tank.

my tank is filled with 96Liter of water so its around 100kg
no idea how the sand weight(gonna change it after i get the stand done, currently with gravel)

reason why i didn't buy off the shop because it looks crappy n not painted(pure pine wood), plus its almost the same price if i D.I.Y

so yeah... i got almost half done.... tomorrow need to go back to the shop to get a bit more wood cut

please give me more comment before all is completed =)

cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!