Help!

metalsapo

Reaction score
Country
Guatemala
I have a Paddle tail newt, and i want to make an aquarium, or aquaterrarium to meke this killer happy, and the basic things will help me do my best.
How deep may i make the water part?
Porcentage of land?
Hidding spots per newt?
dimentions per newt?, not the minimum, a confortable place.
Should i have a feeding space, or can i drop the food anywhere?
Are this newt compared with bethas, they need to be alone?
Thank you, this is my first post.
EO

Hi
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml
Here is a link to get you started. This will give you some more info about paddletails.
I can answer some of your questions for you though.
You probably want to go with a mostly aquatic setup. Paddletails usually only leave the water if they are sick or being picked on, so you do want to give them some sort of place to get out of the water but it doesn't have to be large.
Your water level should be somewhere around 6" and paddletails like a current so having a filter that keeps the water moving is a good thing for them.
I can not give you exact diminsions for space per paddletail because it really just depends on the individual personalities of the paddletails you have. However, the larger the tank the better, I think I have heard of some being lucky enough to get five paddletails living happily in a 50 gal but that is an exception not the norm. I would say two in a 20gal with at least 4 hiding places should be your minimum for more than one. The more plants and rocks you can get in the water the more obstructions from vision they have and they may get along, but if they don't you should have something prepared so that you can split them right away since fighting can be fatal.
As for feeding, these newts will definately pick up on any kind of systematic feeding you do. If you can, feed them each on different ends of the tank and always do it that way and you may have less problem with them bickering.

Thank you, im working on the tank now.
EO

For a paddletail, I wouldn't waste space on a large land area. One small area above water is enough, and it's unlikely to be used. Audrey mentioned 6" (15cm) of water, and this would be fine, but it would also be quite OK to make it significantly deeper, if you have a tank where you can do that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back