How many Axies in this tank???

coglanuk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Mark Smith
Apologies for such a common thread but i'd like informed opinions on the total number of Axies I can put in my new tank. The tank measures 101 x 41 x 50 cm (LxDxH). It is a Juwel Rio 180.

I have just transfered my two axies into the tank this evening. One much larger than the other but both fully grown. However a little earlier in the evening me and the other half spotted to cute axies at the LPS. We have reserved them both. My plan is to put them into their old tank until fully grown and move one or both into the new tank. If both grow to the size of the smaller axi I think there would be plenty of room, but should they be bigger it might get a little cosy.

I intend on creating a 'shelf' half way up to add extra floor space.

So what o you recommend? Two, three or four?!?

I wouldn't put more than 3 in there. You could probably go with 4, but you'll have to provide enough hides, and be diligent about changing water because of the higher bioload in the tank.

As for the shelf, I tried that once. It didn't get used much, and was a serious pain to clean under.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back