Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Male or female?

qwertyaxolotl

Reaction score
I just bought two axolotls and I'm not sure if this is a male or female. Here is a picture. Could someone please tell me if it is a male or female?

By the way, does that circled lump indicate it being a male or female?

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 287

gr33neyes

Reaction score
the picture is a bit blurry and not very clear, so its hard to tell, but the males get a bulge behind their back legs obviously indicating their gender . It depends on the age of your axolotl as to whether you can sex it. How big is your axie?

qwertyaxolotl

Reaction score
Sorry about the picture quality

It's about 13cm long including the tail.
The lump is in between its hind legs.

kapo

Reaction score
It's probably too young to sex then. Usually you can sex, if age is known (usually about 7-9months at earliest) or by 20cm. Some axolotls can take a bit longer to develop; one of our males we thought was a female as he had a small cloaca until we noticed him dropping spermataphore packets round the tank. Are the toe tips starting to darken, if so this means your axolotl is maturing but may not be necessarily sexually mature. It may take a few more months before you'll know.

qwertyaxolotl

Reaction score
No visible dark toe tips yet.
Could the lump be a disease?

Sorry with the load of questions..

kapo

Reaction score
No, it isn't a disease, it's its cloaca (just that if it's a male they become more prominent). Have a look at the following link: http://www.axolotl.org/biology.htm Scroll to the bottom and there's a picture of a male and female axolotl.

qwertyaxolotl

Reaction score
Gender help please

From these photos, could anyone tell me if it is a female or male axolotl?

Attachments

• DSC00920.JPG
    DSC00920.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 5_.JPG
    5_.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 186

kapo

Reaction score
Is this the 13cm one or another axolotl? If it's the 13cm one, then it may not be sexually mature enough to tell whether it's male or female.

If it's a another larger one (close to 20cm) then I'd say it's a female.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Using the glass blobs as a scale it looks like the 13cm one so I agree that it'll be too young to sex.
However , to keep your axolotl healthy you should remove the stones. Axolotl gulp their food into their mouths..and in the process will take in stones etc which end up inside the axolotl. This in time may prooce fatal. Also cleaning the stones with the vacuum syphon will mean that you will need to be very precise with your tank maintanance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1