Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

natural habitat

gr33neyes

Reaction score
I have been trying to find information about the axolotls natural habitat, which I know is now almost nothing. I have tried searches online regarding the natural substrate, plant life and other species i.e. fish, amphibians found in lake Xochimlico. The information i find doesnt really go into much detail or maybe i'm just looking in the wrong places, however I would appreciate some input from other members if they know.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Thanks very much for that Mark. They certainly share their habitat with a wide range of creatures...i did manage to read through some of them and will take a look at the rest during this week. I was just curious as to how close we can actually keep these fascinating creatures in a natural habitat in our own homes, but obviously i won't be rushing out to buy frogs, mud turtles, vipers and ducks just to make them feel at home lol. But thanks for taking the time to post it:D

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Becky,

As you have already found out Axolotls in their natural environment are almost extinct. In the wild they live in Glacial fed mountain streams and lakes now diminished to Xochimlico.

So they would be used to cold very pure water. I have tried to recreate this environment for my axies, I have some flat slate rocks from a glacier in New Zealand and plastic plants that are similar to plant species found in mexican rivers and lakes.

Best of Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!