What's the word ?????

MRIGUY

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the proper word for the illness that makes a well educated and fully grown individual bend over backwards to squeeze one more tank into a house already overcrowded with critters. In late stages it also spreads to infect office space as well.

I'm at a loss

It is a cluster of closely related illnesses...the umbrella term is Salamander Collection Disorder; sufferers are termed either newtaholic, tankaholic, caudaholic, amphibaholic, urodaholic...they all attend the same meetings. I think they have a forum too.

In the circles I frequent this is known as multiple tank syndrome or MTS.

I've heard of that. It is not an illness per se but rather a collective group of symptoms. It is a rather rare but medically interesting condition and has been reported worldwide without regard to population demographics or geography. It appears to be a problem that affects only a very small percentage of the general population.

I believe it is known as OCCS (Obsessive Compulsive Caudata Syndrome). Unfortunately, there is no known treatment. Afflicted individuals sometimes go into spontaneous remission but the underlying problem remains and will periodically express itself. The pathology appears to be assiciated with neurotransmitters and receptors not an infectious process. The data suggest, however, that affected individuals seem to live a very healthy and happy life dispite their OCCS and in fact recent data indicate that individuals with this syndrome may have a better quality of life than their matched cohorts. These data, however, are preliminary and require further study.

I have also heard this syndrome referred to as 'insanity'....but I prefer the terminology of OCCS.

It's good to know that I'm not the only OCCS sufferer.

Seems as though one of the biggest symptoms is the ability to fire off aronyms. Glad to be in such good company.

Oh gads, now I have named disorders to suffer from: SCD, MTS, and OCCS. I think I better go on long-term bedrest and see if I get over them.

On second thought, I have some water changes to do...

A fishkeeping friend of mine reminds me from time to time of one of the lesser known laws of physics...nature abhors an empty tank..
Chip

A fishkeeping friend of mine reminds me from time to time of one of the lesser known laws of physics...nature abhors an empty tank..

That's one of the lesser known properties of the Second Law of Thermodynamics: entropy, or all things progress toward disorder.

That's one of the lesser known properties of the Second Law of Thermodynamics: entropy, or all things progress toward disorder.

Oh man that is priceless!

If OCCD is described by physical laws, then is the filling of potential tank space an attrition force or some unknown sub-atomic force of attraction? And what is its relation to OCCD? Any one know a good neurologist?

This is a serious project. Why is this silly thread in here.

Good point. It should probably be in the 'off topic' area. I've moved it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back