Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from Maine, USA

Palex134

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I am currently a student looking to major in Biology next year. I have been keeping herps since I was 7, and In those 11 years have kept and bred over 30 different species. I have little to no amphibian experience though, besides starting with various tree frogs years ago. I catch Ambystoma maculatum here in fairly decent numbers, despite them being endangered up in Maine. I am looking at doing some work with Ambystomitids for some undergrad research depending on where I go to school next year. I am especially interested in A. opacum. I also love Pseudotriton ruber, as well as S. salamandra ssp.

Here are some young A. maculatum from Maine to enjoy. All found about 200-500 yards from the Ocean, near a wetland under some sort of cover.

17bc9cf4.jpg

54fb4f5e.jpg

5d4034f4.jpg

30559333.jpg

3beadcdf.jpg

Thanks!,

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting finds. Next time I'm in Maine I will keep my eyes open. I was there in summer 2006 camping with friends but it was also a few weeks after floods and I was eaten alive by Mosies :(.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting the photos ;).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1