NUTTY Axie

Steveo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I think that there is something wrong with my axie around about every 20 mins he goes kind of nutty and swims really fast round the tank and splashes water everywhere and then goes to the top and flings water out of the tank and then goes and sits in the corner.... I am worried:(. He started doing this not long ago....

If it's above 20C it will need to be cooled down.

Have you added anything to the water recently or tested your tankwater parameters (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)? Did it start within the last 24hours or so?

Hi Steveo,

Three things, Firstly poor water quality or lack of available oxygen can make axies swim madly around and break the surface to get fresh air.

Secondly, water temperature if its too hot same behaviour as above.

Thirdly, being startled or frightened. If this is happening regularly as you say this may not be the cause.

Best of Luck

Thank you too all

Thanks to all of you who tried to help me but unfortunatly today my axie died.... When i got home he was on his back and the water was extremley murky... His skin was all white and he is usually black and his skin was also peeling it was a very horrible thing to see.....:( I am not sure what did it but i think it might have been the heat.... although my other one is fine.....

Sorry to hear that Steveo. But apart from water temperature have you tested the tankwater at all for the 3 mentioned above.

Just because it doesn't seem to affect the other, doesn't mean the other one is fine.

You need to bring that temperature down if the tank temperatures been rising above 20C and maintain it or fridge your remaining axie. Did you do a 20=30% waterchange after removing your axie? If not, I advise you to do so.

You also need to know whether the tankwater quality is an issue as well by testing the tankwater for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. During extreme temperatures oxygen levels drop in your tank; any ammonia/nitrites will increase a lot faster than if it was cooler.

When an axie dies its skin (dark ones) do whiten and start to peel/flake (it's part of the decomposing process). In paler axies they can tend to redden and sometimes bleed round the gills but it's still the same process.

Thanks again..... My axies were both in different tanks.... and i am now keeping ice bottles in the other ones tank.... i am also waiting until tomorrow to get the water checked at the pet shop....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back