Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

URGENT! laying on back...

Arwen

Reaction score
please help! i came home to find one of my axies lying on his back on the very bottom of his tank! i checked the ammonia and ph levels just the other day and both were fine, and the water temp is below 20 degrees...there is another axie in with him and i dont know if i should remove one of them or what! also, the water seems a bit hazy. PLEASE HELP!!!

mary_kate

Reaction score
Until someone more experienced can give you advice, I'd certainly remove your sick axie and put him in shallow dechlorinated water in your fridge. Slowing his metabolic rate will likely improve his chances of recovering from whatever ails him.

kapo

Reaction score
Arwen, is this the young one you recently acquired that had previously been sick? You mentioned one in posts recently, or is it your other one?

Have you tested your water for nitrites as well?

kclinton

Reaction score
I would remove the sick one. Poss place in fridge. And test all the levels again. Ammonia can rise vary fast cloudy water makes me think ammonia.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Arwen,

I would also fridge it in the short term and look at any water issues. How old are your test kits are you certain they are giving you an accurate reading.

As I am sure you are aware floating upside down is not a good sign. There are a number of possible causes. Its hard to determine one without more details.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!