safe glue/adhesive?

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Becky
Just wanted to know if there are any safe glues i can use in an axolotl tank, apart from aquarium sealant. It would be for glueing rocks/pebbles together so would need to be fairly strong. Or would aquarium sealant be strong enough for this job?

Cyanoacrylate (crazy glue) works well. It can be applied to wet stones though does work better on dry. It will also cure under water if applied under water. Never introduce it to the water when amphibians are in the water and only put them back when it is fully cured. I recommend 48 hrs and a 50% water change for safety. Another option is any of the reef epoxy products. There are several on the marked and all are designed to hold the rockwork typical of reef tanks together. These can also be applied underwater. Follow the direction and you should be fine.

Am I right in thinking that Cyanoacrylate (crazy glue) also retails under the name "Super Glue", just did a search on it to make sure and that is what it came up with

Hi,

I would go for the the Crazy (super) Glue, or silicone.

Good Luck

I would use aquarium silicone sealant. It sticks VERY well to rocks. Despite the claims of superglue, I think the silicone would be stronger because it would adhere a larger area of the surface of the rock.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back