Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

TX Press: Jollyville salamander rates protection but won't get it for now, U.S. says.

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
AMERICAN-STATESMAN (Austin, Texas) 14 December 07 Jollyville salamander rates protection but won't get it for now, U.S. says. (Asher Price)
The good news for the Jollyville Plateau salamander, a 2-inch-long animal that inhabits some of the most prized development areas of Travis County, is that it deserves federal protection, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service declared Thursday.
The bad news is that it won't be soon.
In a determination published this week, the Fish and Wildlife Service said that the salamander warrants protection under the Endangered Species Act because of the threat of habitat destruction but that a designation as endangered or threatened will be deferred as the service makes its way through a logjam of other species that are at greater risk.
At least 280 species around the country are in line for protection.
The salamander occupies the Jollyville Plateau, an area roughly bounded by the Colorado River, MoPac Boulevard (Loop 1), Lake Travis and U.S. 183.
It has been found at what had been one of the potential sites for a City of Austin water treatment plant, on the headwaters of Bull Creek.
A federal listing of the salamander as endangered or threatened could hamper development in the area, where land can sell for $20,000 an acre or more.
Austin environmental group Save Our Springs Alliance petitioned the Fish and Wildlife Service to list the species and then sued the agency after it missed deadlines for conducting a formal review of whether a listing was warranted.
Jollyville Plateau salamanders retain external gills and remain aquatic throughout their lives. They favor shallow, cool, clean water containing loose gravel.
• Sediments in the aquifer they inhabit might impair the salamanders' ability to avoid predators, locate food or find mates.
• The population of the salamander is unknown, but the City of Austin is studying its numbers.
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/12/14/1214salamander.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1