Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My New Boy

DantezGirl

Reaction score
Hi ppl made a thread before about my other new boy with a mystery lump the breeder came over early and we swapped axies this is a pic of the replacement axie im calling him spot i gave black back also i have two live japanese fire belly newts and lots more daphnia as well awesome

:tongue:

I see what yall meant about the gills i can see them they even have little tiny legs when can i tell if they are male or female?

DantezGirl

Reaction score
he's about 24cm tip to toe thanks to the breeder for putting everything right if you are reading this woukd any on know if spot has nay albino or is it only possible to knowif you know parents ect

kapo

Reaction score
He's a leucistic (white with dark eyes). Looks like one of our females - colouring round the head. Unless the breeder can tell you if any of the grandparents or parents have been albino; then no you can't tell. You're still in Auckland, I assume, there are one or two breeders round Auckland and Whangarei region that sell albinoes (goldens mainly). Best chance would be to buy a golden or white albino (if you're ever able to find a breeder of).

DantezGirl

Reaction score
thanks kapo. She breeds golds but forgot to ask about albino - may be for another day, but ill keep an eye out for a pair of albino's. Really like the eyes of albino's and their colouring. Here is a pic of my two newts anyone know when i can tell if they are male or female?

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:

DantezGirl

Reaction score
update

have not been able to get spot to eat since i got him i find it strange as my other two (midnight and the one i gave back) have eaten for me straight away

also am going home on Thursday or Friday i have two poly boxes i keep the newts in tha little one inside the big one. Can i put spot in a ice cream container for the 3hr trip home? only so i can add ice water around the outside to keep the fish cool ?

the big box is big enough for spot to go in and have room to turn around but then if i do that i cant add ice to keep them cool any suggestions? sorry if I'm confusing people I'll try put in a photo so people understand what i am trying to say but having problems with my Internet

kapo

Reaction score
Spot might be settling in (some can take up to a week).

Use a icecream container with water, keep a thermometer (if you have one) in the container as well. You can use those ice packs (blue rectangular ones) surrounding the container (but wrap them in newspaper or dishcloth so they don't chill the container too much/fast). Hope I'm not confusing you! But anyway those Talley's icecream containers (long ones) should fit a poly box with icepacks surrounding it.

DantezGirl

Reaction score
tryed to feed him again this am no luck just sits there and lets the pellets dong his head i will try again tonight and see what happens i'm hopeing he will eat when i get him home will try and be patient with him ill ask the breeder if he is used to another food source ill let yall know

DantezGirl

Reaction score
Daphnia

My Daphna have been outside in a bucket now since last Friday and the water has turned all green and has green furry things floating in it i think algae was wondering if this is any good for the daphnia should i move them to a cooler place they get lots of sun in the day and shade in the afternoon

clairey85

Reaction score
Hey :happy:
you might want to move her to a cooler place- sun isnt good for axies... and algae isnt either...

try the technique kapu suggested- its working for maurice- he was getting extremely stressed from the heat and I ended up also buying an algae scraper to remove the algae from the sides of my tank (it gets rather hot where i am )
keep changing the water partially.. and things should be fine :D

DantezGirl

Reaction score
there is no algae in the pool were spot is i changed the water today and he is under the tramp under wooden boards for cover as that is the only place that is big and cool enough but i hear what you are saying about water temp and conditions should be better when i get him home the algae is in a separate bucket that i use I'm trying to breed daphnia in it
it is in a different area (deck) to were spot is

Gosh what a picky little so and so he is because i couldn't get him to take the pellets i just remembered to try earth worms and he loves them managed to find a few before it started raining so may have to go worm hunting later at least they will be near the top is there any way i can persuade him to take the pellets?

thanks for the help and advice can't wait to go home getting home sick and i wanna get midnight and spot home as fast as i can can't be good living out of a suitcase so to say for me axies and newts lol

Last edited:

kapo

Reaction score
Hi Dantezgirl - good luck if you manage to feed yours pellets. Two of ours have only ever managed to eat them after 5-7 weeks of no food. After that they wouldn't even sniff the pellets once they recuperated. Totally ignored them and I had to toss the bottle; so don't worry if they don't take to pellets. Seems to have found his appetite with the worms though. Worm hunting is good during the rain or just after (under potplants/bricks/loose wood/paving stones/ garden furniture etc... - kids love axie food hunting even though we have wormfarms - probably an excuse to get dirty knowing I won't scream at them :D; big slaters are another one you should try

Last edited:

DantezGirl

Reaction score
Dang it may be a bit harder for me to find worms when i get home our soil is no good may have to create a worm farm i think are they hard to breed? i have a culture of white worms but they are so tiny i cant be bothered

its going to be quite interesting because midnight eats pellets earth worms frozen blood worms and live small fish so hopefully she can train him for me lol in a few months when i introduce them is there likely to be any aggression?

kapo

Reaction score
As long as you keep them well fed (separate them gently with the turkey baster when you feed them). We have an aggressive female (or gluttonous) - she'll bowl over from the other side of the tank knocking over the others in her bid to get food; I usually push her to the corner and feed her there then feed the others while she's munching. Otherwise there's really no problem as long as you have the room/hides etc...

Wormfarms aren't hard to do. You can order worms on TM if you can't find any in your area or at the local garden centres etc.. to start your wormfarm.

DantezGirl

Reaction score
cool thanks for that will scout around shops when i get home as i cant be bothered waiting for worms from tm and not the best time to be posting live food

Does any one in nz plan to breed any albino or have any albino axies that eat peletts for sale in the new year? just thaught i would ask around as i would like an albino one sometime next year

CHECK OUT THIS CLIP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnUfVUTGeOQ&feature=related
very cuye and cool axie

Last edited:

DantezGirl

Reaction score
We Made It

Hi All we all made it home alive and well have put spot in his own tank and midnight back in hers and the newts in another tank we even took a 40min detour on top of the 3 hrs its so good to be home like Dorothy said there's no place like home lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1