Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello, I am soon to be getting 2 Tiger sals..

freekygeeky

Reaction score
But they arent liek others i have seen they are green with black dots.. is this a tiger sal or been lablled wrongly?

they look just liek my metermorphed axy...

which i wil update you on - he eats like a pig!!!! and is gaining wait all the time - ill try to get some more photos!

they are currently livign in a fish tank with one rock.. should i do the same or set them up like my axy,

some moss,s rocks, tarra cotta pot, bark hide, and a dish with water?

axy-2.jpg

MR lister my metermorphed axy

AXY-3.jpg

as he was

rigsby

Reaction score
When you say fish tank with one rock, do you mean water with a rock as a climb out, if so the set up is totally wrong they will need a set up as you describe. Tigers like to burrow so a good layer of eco earth or top soil moist not wet with some hides and a small water bowl will do. I see you are using sphagnum moss, have you tested it for acidity. A lot of axies have some tiger salamander in them which is the case with your morph i would say looking at it.

freekygeeky

Reaction score
When you say fish tank with one rock, do you mean water with a rock as a climb out, if so the set up is totally wrong they will need a set up as you describe. Tigers like to burrow so a good layer of eco earth or top soil moist not wet with some hides and a small water bowl will do. I see you are using sphagnum moss, have you tested it for acidity. A lot of axies have some tiger salamander in them which is the case with your morph i would say looking at it.

yea just a rock to climb out - but when i get them ill change it - should i have some water in there or...

also if they are a pair are they likely to breed - if so what do i do?

used to lizards...

spagnum moss and eco earth is what i shall do then, thank you!!

dont be angry with this question.. (gonna sound awful and or stupid.) can my changed axy live with them or is it best to stay apart?

duktig

Reaction score
There are many color morphs of Tiger salamanders, mostly separated by geography. My gues would be that he's a Blotched Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum melanostictum), but without knowing where he came from its hard to say for sure.

You can get them to breed by manipulating their habitat (water levels, lighting, et cetera)

He could live with the neotenic brothers and sisters, but would prefer a more terrrestrial habitat.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's unlikely that you'll be able to breed the tiger salamanders. The breeding between axolotls and tiger salamanders happened with neotenic tigers, not terrestrial axolotls.

I don't know what the aggressiveness is of terrestrial axolotls, but tiger sals are pretty aggressive. If axolotls are more shy, they're likely to be harassed by the tigers.

freekygeeky

Reaction score
thank you very much - i wil keep them seperate dwhen i get them then - thank you.

so as they are 2 year olds do you recon the tiger sals will not breed then - i was hopeing they would - stunning stunning things - never seen them round here before :)
It's unlikely that you'll be able to breed the tiger salamanders. The breeding between axolotls and tiger salamanders happened with neotenic tigers, not terrestrial axolotls.

I don't know what the aggressiveness is of terrestrial axolotls, but tiger sals are pretty aggressive. If axolotls are more shy, they're likely to be harassed by the tigers.

freekygeeky

Reaction score
There are many color morphs of Tiger salamanders, mostly separated by geography. My gues would be that he's a Blotched Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum melanostictum), but without knowing where he came from its hard to say for sure.

You can get them to breed by manipulating their habitat (water levels, lighting, et cetera)

He could live with the neotenic brothers and sisters, but would prefer a more terrrestrial habitat.

Ambystoma tigrinum melanostictum <-- look at that on google - only one looks likt them - some have HUGE spots .. they are mainly green with a few tiny black sopts a lil liek this one.
http://www.schwanzlurche.de/3/Ambystoma tigrinum diaboli1.jpg

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Tiger salamanders do not breed readily in captivity. There's only been 1 or 2 legitimate cases of captive breeding ever.

freekygeeky

Reaction score
kk thank you, so are they ALL WC then?

Tiger salamanders do not breed readily in captivity. There's only been 1 or 2 legitimate cases of captive breeding ever.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few cb tiger sals were sold in the uk this year.

freekygeeky

Reaction score
hey - thanks you. thats such a shame..

seriosuly didnt think tthat :(

thank you again.

Ginax

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1