Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ambystoma laterale (blue spotted sal) or ambystoma maculatum (spotted sal)?

dustoj

Reaction score
Here are images of my three salamander morphs. I got the eggs from a familiar vernal pool where I had gotten and raised ambystoma laterale (blue spotted salamander) eggs the previous year. However, I found this year's eggs later in the spring (late may instead of mid april). I assumed I was raising blue spotteds, and even after they morphed, I assumed they would eventually lose their faint gold dusting and gain blue spots, as my ambystoma laterale did the previous year. However, the gold dusting has only been getting brighter and brighter and I am thinking they may be ambystoma maculatum (spotted salamanders). Of the three that I kept to morphing, one has fairly bright gold spots, one has medium spots, and one is very faint. If anyone has raised ambystoma maculatum (spotted salamanders) I would appreciate any opinions. Thanks.

Also, I've been feeding them on fruit flies. Has anyone had luck with anything else? They are too small for whole worms and are fairly shy so feeding chopped worms is hard. These morphs also seem shyer than last years blue spotteds.

Attachments

• sal1a.JPG
    sal1a.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 606
  • sal2.JPG
    sal2.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 661
  • sal3.JPG
    sal3.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Spotteds are usually quite a bit more shy than blue spotteds. I've never really figured out why. But keeping them is just the same: some soil, some hides, a little water dish.

As long as they're eating fruit flies, and you dust the flies occasionally, I would keep that up. Or you can try feeding them chopped worms in a minimalistic setup (so the worms can't escape).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1