Floating ... and not eating...

clairey85

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,
I havent been on here in quite some time- moved and no net access... maurice had been doing well up til now-
He hasnt eaten for 1 week- and there are no visible signs of damage, disease marked on him...
the pH of the water is 7.3
Nitrite is 0
Ammonia is 0
tank temp is 22-24 degrees

I put him in the fridge the other night because i came and checked back here as to what to do= and in the morning he passed a huge faecies...
he sat properly for maybe a day and now he's floating again and Im running out of options as to what to do.... Im wondering if the constipation damaged him internally.....
I have done the salt baths...
what do you guys suggest? more frequent water changes?

I am putting him in the fridge again today....
Your help would be great

I would say your tank temperature needs bringing down...its a little up the up side for an axolotl. what do you normally feed him?

Last edited:
I usually feed him
fresh beef meat, kidney, axolotl pellets on the side and the occasional worm...- a variety

its been very hot here lately... well.. its more on the humid side.. lol
I have been floating 3 frozen bottles just to get the tank to that temp ... its already in the coolest part of the house... :)

but good news is i tried to feed him again and he ate a little...
he is currently cooling off in the fridge ...

How old is your axolotl? Also is there any chance you could turn the "occasional" worm into the regular diet and turn the meat into a treat. I feed my axolotls mostly worms with meats/prawn as treats. Its a much better option if you can, they do love stalking and catching their food and keeps them interested i'm sure.

I dont know how old he is....

but he is approx 20cm long .. so Im thinking hes either full grown or almost full grown...

I will try the worms :)
I just freaked out when i saw him floating... i have had others and none ever did that...

thanks for your advice :)
oh and have a awesome christmas ;)

Yes it would most definitely be temperature related. Try putting polystyrene round the sides/back of the tank when you do the ice bottle method. This will keep it cooler for longer (ie especially if you're at work during the day). Also, having a screen/mesh lid and fan aimed at the tank water surface will bring it down a couple of degrees (pedestal fans are great for this - you don't have to try and balance them somewhere so they don't fall in - height/angle can be adjusted)

Thanks kapo :)

an update on maurice- he is no longer floating and I have managed to get the temp down to 19 degrees ..

we fed him earth worms this morning and he very readily ate them- so you could say hes looking up in the gills once again! :D
I am verrry releaved....

hopefully getting air con as well next year!!!!!!!
*heaves huge sigh of relief*

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back