How to prepare spotted salamanders for breeding?

Whoo

Field Herper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kyle G.
Well, I've looked at them and it seems they are male and female. Now before it's spring I want to know how to let them know when breeding season is, and how to get them prepared.Answers?

Spotted salamanders do not breed indoors in captivity.

Kaysie is right: there have been no documented indoor breedings of spotted sals. *IF* it's possible to breed them at all, it would probably require a large outdoor enclosure - more like farming than like captive breeding.

Regardless of breeding, your sals will perhaps be healthier in the long run if you can give them a cold period. They can get quite cold, but it's obviously important to have no risk of freezing.

Mine are in an outhouse at the moment and have experienced ambient temperatures down to -2C. Their burrows always remain above freezing but they are surprisingly active at very low temperatures. I'll put them outdoors once the worst of the winter is over but I don't hold out much hope for breeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back