Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

milky film

Plonk

Reaction score
I have finally started to get my tank ready and set up and today I am cleaning the tank out with warm salty water. I have a problem though, the tank is secondhand and there seems to be a milky film all around the top sides of the tank. I have tried to wipe over the tank and also scrub the area gently with a soft scoura but it doesnt seem to do anyhting. I have no clue of what it could be.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be hard water deposits. Vinegar will help remove this. If not, a razor blade will do a better job.

Some areas have silica in the water supply. When silica is deposited on glass, there is NOTHING that will remove it, as it bonds permanently.

MRIGUY

Reaction score
It should not hurt anything but it is unsightly. As Jenn said you can use vinegar or some people use lemon juice. Try both and see what works. Make them into a paste with baking soda and scour with an unused sponge or paper towel. Rinse well and you should be good to go.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!