Growth

Darkshines

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Beccy
Today I noticed a strange growth on Rover and I was hoping you could help identify what it is and tell me how to treat it..
a4de0.jpg

a1kc6.jpg

a2lr6.jpg

a3wo1.jpg

Hope those photos will be enough.
Should I separate her from her tank mate?

What are your tank levels?

Some sort of polyp maybe? Hard to say from the photo. Have her gills always been so small? How long have you had her?

Tank levels are normal.. the temp is somewhere between 20°C - 23°C thats as cool as I can get it. Yes her gills have always been small.. although they have gotten a little smaller since I've had her which has been about.. um at least 3 months.

axie

Hi Beccy, Hope you dont mind me butting my nose in but i am from perth as well One of my black axies had a similar bump on it as your rover. I have since found out that is a fungus and that also
helped with the shrinking of his gills . One of the main causes is the axies being stressed out with the heat and the water temperatures changing too frequently. There is a vet here in perth that has
some knowledge on axies if you would like his number i can give it to you. hope this helps

Hi Beccy, Hope you dont mind me butting my nose in but i am from perth as well One of my black axies had a similar bump on it as your rover. I have since found out that is a fungus and that also
helped with the shrinking of his gills . One of the main causes is the axies being stressed out with the heat and the water temperatures changing too frequently. There is a vet here in perth that has
some knowledge on axies if you would like his number i can give it to you. hope this helps

Thanks for your advice, I know of a vet already that deals with axolotls as I took my other one in to her when it wasn't eating, she was knowledgeable.
I was thinking I might just stick them both in the fridge for a couple of weeks to avoid the heat.

Should I start salt bathing her if its fungus? :confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back