Tank size for maby 4 axolotl

Whoo

Field Herper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kyle G.
I was wondering what gallon tank would be required for 4 axies.I know you need a 10 gallon for 2.

10 gallon would be too small for two adults. It would be the minimum size for one adult axolotl. Usually it is best to go off floor space rather than height and on axolotl.org it says 18 inches per adult.

I wouldn't keep 4 in anything smaller than a 55-gallon or a 40-breeder. (The "breeder" size tanks have more floor space and are less-tall.)

It depends on the size of the axolotls and configuration of the tank. Most people will just give you the size for adults because they grow so fast. A tank with a bigger footprint or breeder type tank will hold more axolotls than the same gallon tank that is a tall tank. With good biological filtration you can put more axolotls in a tank. In a pinch I'd put 4 adults in a 29 gallon tank but would boost the biological filtration.

10 gallon would be too small for two adults. It would be the minimum size for one adult axolotl. Usually it is best to go off floor space rather than height and on axolotl.org it says 18 inches per adult.

Then I found false info on axolotl.org.

I wouldn't say keeping an adult pair of axolotls in a 10 gallon tank won't work. I would say it will be much easier to maintain good water quality in a larger tank. In a pinch I've bred pairs of axolotls in a 10 gallon tank. It's tough to say something is wrong or false information.

You have not really found false information, it is just that the information is necessarily a bit vague as it depends how you set up the tank and how much attention it needs. My 2 x 20cm sub-adults occupy only a fraction of their 24 inch 50 L (13 American gallon) tank, spending 90% of their time along one side of the planting. Behaviourally you could easily fit in four 30 cm adults. However my testing occasionally shows traces of ammonia indicating I am pushing the limits of the biological "filtration" in my heavily planted tank. I'm starting up a second tank for two smaller larvae growing slowly in the cool. You will find a larger tank more chemically stable than a small one. Go large or double up if you can afford it. You can put two full size adults in 10 gallons but you will need to watch the water quality with obsessional care to avoid trouble.

Ive got 4 in a 145L tank....36" x 14" x 18"

I think i may be pushing the limit... but with a big filter and a largish old style platform cannister filter thingy taking up one corner I should be alright surely? tis a tall tank so they have swimming space....they have plenty of room to move around.. should i be looking at getting yet another tank?

Adult axolotls don't really need swimming space, and they tend not to use the water column (so a tall tank is not necessary). Putting 4 adults in a 36" tank is a tight fit.

I would not house 4 in a 36 inch tank..picture 4 lots of 12 inch axolotl trundling about .I currently house in one half of my 36 inch tank 1 adult male and in the other half 3 x 5 inch juveniles. The intention will be to eventually keep one of the male juveniles in with Jeffrey. My adult male will occasionally hang out higher up in the tank in the plants, but this is only really ocasionally. I personally would not house more than 2 in that size tank.

okay then so if i have 3 in that size tank and put one in a 2 ft is that more acceptable? they are each 20cm/7 inches long and have been since i have had them....

by the calculation of 10 gallons per two axies 145L is approx 38 gallons surely that is acceptable for 4 in that amount bioload wise. . thats approx 9 gallons per axie..... with a cannister filter that holds 3.5 L of water and a large platform filter? plus I am admittedly as my husband would say, obsessed to the point of distraction in caring for them...

If the 4 are on the small side (7 inches is on the small side), I wouldn't stress too much about keeping them all in a 36 inch tank. That's not terribly crowded, as long as you provide appropriate amounts of hides and are diligent about water changes. I kept 5 small adults in a 55gallon (48 inches) for a couple of years.

cool, thank you.. I was starting to pace a little..... they have a barrel they love sticking their heads out of, two tunnels and a castle gate that has a tunnel and holes through it that they clamber into..... they hide behind the two plants we have, and ive been doing 30% water change everyday since ammonia problem started up... hopefully with the new filter and the addition of bacteria that should soon ease up... (tank hasnt cycled yet!!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back