My intro

docszoo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello

I have been in the hobby for years. Mostly dealing with reptiles, but started with frogs/toads and newts in 4th grade. Of course, the animals life-span was a year or less. However, experience grew as time passed. My green tree frogs died out, so I finally had the ability to get a red-eye tree frog. Beautiful animal. He eventually "died of old age." Odd, I know, since he lived for 3 years in my hands. Also, around that time I aquired the red-eye, I came accross a Whites Tree Frog, and a very promiseing looking fire belly newt. This one, the bumpy skin version of the two groups, is still alive with me today. He has lived with me around 5+ years. Quite astounding. Also very friendly; eats crickets from my hand.

Currently in this tank is the Whites, a fire belly toad (also around 5 years of age; has that white eye cover on both cornea) and a that fire belly newt.

Now, for the real reason I came here, I have a, now, male tiger salamander. On a camping trip up near Santa Fe, we stoped by my fathers grandad's ranch, which has a blue hole resting in it. Been there several times through-out my life, and love those mudpuppies/ water dogs/ whatever you prefer to call em, but never truly saw them. This year's summer, my brother wanted one, so I had to go swimming in there for one; there was cow poo, mud, garder snakes, and tons of plants. It terrified me on the fact of how I was swimming in 50+ feet deep of water... Anyway, after failing numerous times, finally cought a small little one, 3 in, and put him in a bucket, and went home. Tried dieing numerous times; went into shock. She (now found out its a male) made it home, alive. We had a small take set up for a temporary cage. She grew very fast, eating 30 crickets in one sitting every now and then.:eek:

Eventually, we ordered an acrylic tank a foot deep, 18 inches wide, and 3 feet long. Huge tank. Got a few large rocks, set them in water for a while, let the dirt come off, and placed it in the tank. I hate the thought of gravel for these animals; too high a risk for bockages. Sand would fog the tank to where we would have no visibility. So, we put in a type of hide, and bought some water plants at, sadly, pets-mart. Nothing happened. She continued eating, but, by quite a bit. 6 inches by the time she changed. I miss her feathers. Around the time, I purchased 3 guppies from the store, and tried to see if they would be eaten. 1 fish flew on the floor, and the other 2 were eaten. So, went and got 10 or so guppies. Has not wanted to chase them...

Anyway, the tank is the same now, but has this turtle dock thing, so she go on land. She still hates the thought of using her legs at all, so she stays in the water. The fish are reproducing like mad, and females look huge, and may provide good sources of food. Still he (his tail got long, and his cloaca area is rather large. Any hints, tips, cheat codes for these guys? I have photographs, just on a different computer.

Anyway, hello everyone, and glad to be here!

Any help is appreciated,
~docszoo

Hello Docszoo, welcome to the site. That's a very interesting story. I would very much like to see the photos of the tiger. Please forgive my ignorance but what exactly is a blue hole? I know you mean a water body but I'm very curious as to the details of what it is and how it forms.

Best wishes,

-John

Put simply, it is a natural occuring underground reservoir which has risen at one spot, forming a circular spring. This blue hole is constantly filled with the salamander larvae. There is a blue hole around Carles Bad which is used for proffesional diving. Pretty cool stuff.

I'll post those pics in the one section.

That's very interesting. Do you have any photos of the blue hole?

I can try to look, but I doubt it..

Thanks for that google tour...I'd never heard of a blue hole either. Sounds interesting

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back