Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus / 'Dry Skin'?

Skeeter

Reaction score
I am new to the forum, so hi to all and happy new year.
Seems its a busy and well populated place, so will look forward to your help / comments etc.

Having looked at other Axolotl images I can see that an Axolotl's skin can look almost dry - is this normal?

Also can an Axolotl get a fungus from cloudy water??

Granted I have just put her in a new tank with white sand, but still 24 hours later its not crystal clear like my other tropical tank with Pleco's etc.

Thanks in advance,
Skeeter

Last edited:

kapo

Reaction score
Axolotls do not get fungus from cloudy water. They get fungus when they are stressed or sick due to things like fluctuating/extremely warm temperatures; cycling tank (if a new tank the water parameters - ammonia, nitrite, nitrates need to be tested daily/every two days and if any ammonia/nitrite rises then 20-30% waterchanges only to keep it safe for your axolotl); and/or poor water quality or addition of unquarantined animals (other axolotls/fish) that could be sick or may be nibbling on its gills/sucking its slimecoat.

An axolotls coat may look dry but it's not - there is a thin slimecoat on its skin. Try and avoid handling with hands too much as this can damage the slimecoat and stress it. Also avoid adding any fish medicines (which can be toxic to an axie) or other things like ammolock, nitrazorb, pH up or down and cycle; if a petshop advises you to do so.

By the way = Welcome to the forum! :D

If it's a new tank = ie uncycled and you have just added the sand, and the sand is very fine or hasn't been rinsed it can take several hours to a couple of days to settle. You may have to do a partial waterchange (siphon the top part of the sand where fine sand dust settles). Also running filter will help.

Did you rinse the sand and what else do you have in the tank, is it filtered? Did you cycle the tank? see: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

What is the size of the tank - measurements?

Your tropical tank sounds like it's established/cycled so of course it will be clear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1