Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Many questions

L0uv3

Reaction score
Hey i have 3 firebelly newts, im not sure how old they are cu the petshop didnt even know... and i dont know if there's any female in there, i think im not sure, but i think i have 2 males and one girl. If the one i think is a girl, she's super fat!!!! is she pregnant or just eating too much??
i'dd like to know a bunch of things on them.. i did read.. but its not the same when someone's already used to them...

Attachments

• Picture 34.jpg
    Picture 34.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Picture 35.jpg
    Picture 35.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 122
  • Picture 37.jpg
    Picture 37.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 114
  • Picture 36.jpg
    Picture 36.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Picture 38.jpg
    Picture 38.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 119

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You should probably figure out how to keep them healthy and 'happy' before worrying about breeding them.

L0uv3

Reaction score
i think i know how to keep them heallthy, the skinny one is front a poor petshop. And he was the only one left, i simply took a chance taking him, and it looks like he's getting better. He wasn't looking really healthy when i bought him 3 weeks ago. but the two others, i had them for 2 months. So i guess im starting to know a bit about them.
I don't think im doing anything wrong. I simply asked question incase my newt was pregnant. Cuz if she is. I don't want to stress her, or if i can have the experience of having her babies....
I though it would have been a good thing.

And im quite sure they are happy too. They have a very good aquarium, and alot of plants and space to swim how they want. the water's perfect, and they eat quite well.

Anyways, ill try to find out how to take care of a mommy.
Thanks for the help.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Salamanders don't get 'pregnant'. Females can carry eggs, but unless a male courts her and fertilizes them, she won't lay fertile eggs.

Did you quarantine the new animal? Introducing an unquarantined animal, especially from a pet shop, into an established tank can introduce disease and parasites into healthy animals.

L0uv3

Reaction score
yes i did and now they are going very well. But my plant broke this morning becuz it wasnt holding enough in the tank.
I'll have to buy new ones so she can lay her eggs.
Do you recommend any special kind of plants?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The pet shop couldn't tell you how old they are because virtually all newts in pet stores are animals that were taken from the wild. Can you post a photo of their setup? And what are you feeding them? Are there any other animals in the tank? What temperature is the water? We may be able to help you avoid some problems and maybe encourage them to breed. Almost any plant can be used for egg laying, but ones with small flat leaflets work best, like elodea.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Are we even sure they really are firebellied newts? The parotoids seem right but I haven't played the newt silhouette game much.

L0uv3

Reaction score
yes they are. i know how to reconize newts from almost all they're breed.
And ok, i already have that kind of plant.
They eat froen blood worms, cuz we dont have anything else in petshops , exept wax worms and meal worms. But they all stop moving in the water, i tryed before at my job.
They don't live with any other kind of animals exept the 3 of them. The water is 18 celcius, even it goes up and down from 16 to 20. depends if the light is on or off.
I'll take a picture of my tank tomorrow morning when i get my camera back, for suuuure
I'll post a couple of pic.
And they couldnt tell me how old they were, becuz they used to belong to another person before, and that person didnt know how old they were. :confused:
But the thing i saw, is my female loves to go on my floating deck. She can pass hours cuddling with my big male.

L0uv3

Reaction score
here's some pictures. they're not really good. but ill take better ones tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• DSCF0447.jpg
    DSCF0447.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 107
  • firebellyhoney.JPG
    firebellyhoney.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCF0448.jpg
    DSCF0448.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 103
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1