Quite a disturbing food item...

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ryan
A family member's friend went to Beijing on a trip and sent back pictures of a food market. One of the pics had dried Tylototriton of some species on a stick. Ew, that was pretty sad. Gross huh?:eek:

Last edited:
Sure it's gross, but not unusual at all.

I once spoke with some people at an animal expo that used to live in a town near Xochimilco, Mexico back 30 years ago and said they'd eaten axolotls before.

It's sad that people are eating endangered species, but they must taste good if they keep eating them

Yes it is very sad. After seeing all the pictures of other things eaten there, I wouldn't be surprised if they had other species for sale.

I had a feeling that this wasn't unusual, I've always heard of the strange (to us) food items there, but it never even occured to be that they have newts!

A lot of eastern countries eat unusual things. In Vietnam, they eat dogs. But the eastern countries aren't the only ones. In Hawaii, they eat ginuea pigs. It's sad, when you think about eating animals that many people keep as beloved pets.

Well some people think eating cow is wrong and some I know people from other countries who think lobster is disgusting when people in my home town love it (not me:p). So I guess its all just your point of view. I just had never heard of newts.

The domestication of animals as pets has definately changed some people's views about meat eating...I wonder if people who keep pot-bellied pigs as pets eat bacon...

I thought eating sals and newts was dangerous because of poisons in the skin.

Hey RedEft92, who said people in Hawaii eat Ginuea Pigs? You think we all ride horses and live in out houses?

I know guinea pig, or at least the wild relatives are a popular food in some SA countries, ex. Ecuador.

I don't think we can pass judgement except if the animals are being harvested unsustainably...which with many of the more exotic ones that is often the case.

Quite frankly, I keep frogs as pets, but I've had frog legs and would have them again. Same goes for fish, etc.

I can understand how some people feel, after owning a rabbit for 7 years I could not stand the sight of rabbits in stores. All things considered in australia they eat kangaroo and emu, so I believe that most cultures see things differently, most people in India cannot conceive eating cow and beef is one of the most eaten meat in america.

Coen, yeah thats exactly what they looked like, except they were on stick. It is quite gross in my opinion and I wouldn't eat one (unless I had to). I strongly believe is OK to eat any animal as long as it's not threatened or endangered for your own nourishment. We are humans, we are the top of the food chain.

Well I see nearly any living organism as a potential meal, but there are moral reasons not to eat certain species, and geographic location definitely has an impact on what's taboo and what's "normal". People in South America eat endangered sea turtle eggs in an expensive drink called "Bacca" (sp?), but the government sets a limit on the quantity of the eggs that can be harvested per year. I doubt that there is much law enforcement stopping people from eating endangered newts (or precious axolotls!!!!).

Perhaps the toxins in the newt's skin gives people the affects of a hallucinagen? I know of a couple species of frogs that people lick or smoke the paratoid secretions to take a pshychadelic trip...so maybe some newts cause the same to happen?

Coen, yeah thats exactly what they looked like, except they were on stick. It is quite gross in my opinion and I wouldn't eat one (unless I had to). I strongly believe is OK to eat any animal as long as it's not threatened or endangered for your own nourishment. We are humans, we are the top of the food chain.

I don't think we're necessarily at the top of the food chain. If a person bothers a lion or tiger it just might eat you. It's happened to people before. But I agree. I wouldn't eat a newt. It's just against my morals. I love herps in terms of interest, so I wouldn't eat frogs, salamanders, snakes, or any other reptile or amphibian. I also wouldn't eat dogs or cats, so I guess it all matters on geographic location and what your culture believes to be okay to eat or not.

We are considered the top of the food chain because we have technololgy and are capable of eating any lifeform on earth really. Just because we could be eaten by a lion doesn't mean they are the top. Just like a bird with a broken wing could be attacked and eatin by a swarm of ants which aren't on the top.

That dried Tylototriton picture is horrible, but I'm glad I saw it.
It only reinforces my commitment to being vegetarian.
I have the luxury of choosing not eat animals, so I don't.

Just one of the perks of having developed self awareness I guess. Not that I wouldn't eat meat because of that...I'm extremely fond of the taste.

yuk

I was in Bali some years ago and happened to be out and about when the kids were coming home from school they had a long stick with something sticky on the end and were poking it in the hedges and catching locusts after ripping its wings and legs off they put it into a pouch, I found out they eat them.....................YUK

I don't have a problem with people eating any type of animal (including newts) as long as they aren't endangered or subjected to unnecessary cruelty... What you like to eat is very dependent on the culture you were raised in and often isn't a conscious decision in general (eg I am Irish and my favourite food is potato :p)

But yea, I wouldn't eat a newt because I have one as a pet (also why I don't eat fish)... but if people want to eat them it is unfair for me to put my cultural biases and personal tastes onto them...

Your favourite food is potato, hehe, exotic... no offence..
I think if my axolotl was big enough he would eat me, in fact I know he would, he goes for my hand even though its over twice his size.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back