Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Too cold!

Jake

Reaction score
So I woke up this morning and did my routine first round in the newt room, checking every tank to make sure everyone is alive and kicking. One of the first tubs I checked looked different and well, here's what I found.....

FROZEN AXOLOTLS! (please do not try this at home, the axolotls are still alive under the ice)

Attachments

• IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 216

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Jake, I remembered you saying that you were leaving a window open to keep the room with the caudates cool. Were you still doing thing, I can imagine that at night the temps probably drop to freezing or less this time of year. Could this have been the case?

Jake

Reaction score
Jake, I remembered you saying that you were leaving a window open to keep the room with the caudates cool. Were you still doing thing, I can imagine that at night the temps probably drop to freezing or less this time of year. Could this have been the case?

That's exactly what happened. I normally leave the window open about a half inch, but the other night I left it open about two inches, and that was enough to freeze the surface of the water, but not kill the axolotls.

I used to keep my adults outside during the mild parts of winter here, and they'd survive being under a layer of ice several inches thick.

On the bright side, the N.maculosus tank is now a chilling 40 degrees F.

Rei

Reaction score
Is your axolotl ok? I realize they come from the ice lakes of mexico but thats not the point XD

Jake

Reaction score
Is your axolotl ok? I realize they come from the ice lakes of mexico but thats not the point XD

All of the axolotls that were under ice are fine. There were about 20 of them in the tubs closest to the window, but all are alive and well.

Ryan-Maybe try a garden pond. I have a ring that floats in mine to keep it from freezing solid. Or just do what I do, and keep your window open in the winter, it's worked for me and at least one other member of the forum.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
awesome.....i;ve heard of poeple keeping axolotls in out door ponds that freeze over the winter. as long as the pond never completely freezes up they ok....and hey jake how are the necturus maculosus???? are they doing fine

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Well I actually have setup a garden pond but it is realy gross and I no one has done anything with it. I think in the spring we'll drain it get a filter + pump and go from there. So I'll have to see. I can't open the window because my family would kill me, I sleep down there, and I just can't because lots of people hang around down there.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Oh the joys of having a dedicated herp room. I've yet to freeze mine over, but on days when the projected temp is greater than 20F, I usually leave the windows open. Although lately we've been getting temps down into the teens, and I've accidently left the window open a time or two. I've never had it dip below 40F in there though (that I've noted).

Jake

Reaction score
The coldest air temperature for the newt room as a whole was 39 degrees F. That was last week. I left the window open a bit too much one night when it was about 20 degrees, but in the morning it was only 7 outside, so the tubs near the window froze a bit. I should have measured the air temp when that happened though, it was really cold, I could see my breath. Most of my tank temps from day to day are pretty stable though, any increace or drop in temps in there are really gradual.

The N.maculosus are doing great, thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1