Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

babies

radtad

Reaction score
I have 40 three week old babies and another 60 that are starting to hatch. They are all the brown wild caught colors. Any Ideas on when you start getting rid of them. can I trade for some other colors? Do I try to sell them if so at what age Help
Thanks
Rad

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't try selling mine until they where a good 4 inches in length . They all had their legs etc and where eating a good varied diet of food...i.e chopped worm as their main diet plus very occasional pellets, lean meats and shrimp. I think they where approx 4 months old, and I supect the bigger they are the better they sell.
If you are struggling with your first 40 I would not try hatching any more as looking after 40 can be a bit time consuming, also its best to know that you can actually re-home the first. I was fortunate in that I had an aquarium that could easily take on and sell mine.

radtad

Reaction score
Thank you Bellabelloo for your input the first forty are actually alot easier, than I had imagined with the newly hatched brine and all. My family is actually enjoying watching the development of these little fellows. We have them nicely housed on our counter by the kitchen and during the holiday season they were quite the hit with our guests.

Jake

Reaction score
Were both clutches of eggs from the same female? 60 eggs is a very small clutch for an axolotl.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember those days..I felt my kitchen was more like a zoo at one time! Now I have visitors expressing shock at how big they have gotten!!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Jake, my female's first clutch was only about 70.

As far as getting rid of them, not raising them is a start. Leaving them in the parent's tank to fend for themselves usually works.

Once they've grown back legs, they can usually be shipped pretty easily.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!